The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow 5th gen owners.

I have a 2008 T&C 3.8 that needs the 62TE rebuilt or replaced. The vehicle has 175,000 miles on it so I would prefer not to spend a lot on repairing it, however if I can get a few dozen thousand miles out of a junkyard transmission, it would be worth it to me to replace the transmission. One of my local junkyards gave me an interchange list that includes several vehicles besides the GC/T&C, however I am skeptical of this and I am hoping to confirm with someone who has actually done the swap.

The interchange list I received is as follows:

2007 Pacifica 4.0l
2007 Sebring 2.4l
2008 Sebring 2.7l
2008 Dodge Avenger 3.5l
2008 Dodge Avenger 2.7l

I've heard rumors that the 62TE for the 4.0 liter T&C/GC will bolt up to the 3.8 and will function, but has slightly taller gearing. My question is twofold:

1. Are any of these interchanges true? If yes, which ones?
2. I assume that even if the gear ratios are different, the only difference will be different performance. Is this assumption correct?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just as a follow up to this, I did find this screenshot of a Mopar reman catalog that appears to confirm at least some of these as valid swaps:

I would still like to hear from anyone who has actually done the swap from a Pacifica, Avenger, or Sebring into a minivan, but at least it looks like I might be on the right track.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What's wrong on the unit that requires the rebuild/replacement? Just curious. I have replaced two 62TE units in the past 3 years. My 08 T&C Touring unit went out at 215k miles, was replaced with used from LKQ under warranty. 2 years later (this month) the 62TE went out in our 12 T&C Touring-L... just had a new unit swapped for $3500. You would think I would have learned the lesson after the first one died.... guess not.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
248 Posts
Well if my tranny takes a dump in my 09 TC with 199k on the clclo

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
505 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The safest bet is to find a GCV/T&C which has the same engine and tranny as yours, then replace the tranny for yours.

I realize that doesn't answer your question but this is quite a big "grey area". We wont really know if it will work or not unless someone tries it and finds out. Maybe you can be the first!

I have seen previous threads on older generation vans (like 4th gen, someone wanted to replace a 3.8L for a 3.3L) but not transmissions, I have yet to see someone who did grab a tranny out of a different Chrysler/Dodge vehicle.

My 09 has the 3.3L and 4 speed, if I was to get a different transmission from a larger engine van, then I'm going to replace the engine and transmission, and keep the 2 as a pair from whichever vehicle i got them from. Obviously, with that will be a different engine harness, but i suspect that will be a simple unplug and and replace, I may be wrong.

Personally, I wouldn't grab a transmission out of a different size engine to put onto mine, because even if it does work, you run into the different gear ratios issue, which could make the vehicle extremely sluggish on acceleration and reduce power, or vice versa.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's wrong on the unit that requires the rebuild/replacement? Just curious. I have replaced two 62TE units in the past 3 years. My 08 T&C Touring unit went out at 215k miles, was replaced with used from LKQ under warranty. 2 years later (this month) the 62TE went out in our 12 T&C Touring-L... just had a new unit swapped for $3500. You would think I would have learned the lesson after the first one died.... guess not.

I have a friend who was able to plug into it and read the transmission codes. It was throwing an unknown ratio code and something else. I don't recall the exact codes but it was pointing to an issue with the internal speed sensor and also an issue with the compounder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the forum!

The safest bet is to find a GCV/T&C which has the same engine and tranny as yours, then replace the tranny for yours.

I realize that doesn't answer your question but this is quite a big "grey area". We wont really know if it will work or not unless someone tries it and finds out. Maybe you can be the first!

I have seen previous threads on older generation vans (like 4th gen, someone wanted to replace a 3.8L for a 3.3L) but not transmissions, I have yet to see someone who did grab a tranny out of a different Chrysler/Dodge vehicle.

My 09 has the 3.3L and 4 speed, if I was to get a different transmission from a larger engine van, then I'm going to replace the engine and transmission, and keep the 2 as a pair from whichever vehicle i got them from. Obviously, with that will be a different engine harness, but i suspect that will be a simple unplug and and replace, I may be wrong.

Personally, I wouldn't grab a transmission out of a different size engine to put onto mine, because even if it does work, you run into the different gear ratios issue, which could make the vehicle extremely sluggish on acceleration and reduce power, or vice versa.
I get where you're coming from. What I am finding is that almost every GC/T&C in my local junkyards with the 3.8 engine has already been stripped of its transmission. In many cases, the engine is left sitting on the ground! What this tells me is that this is a very common failure on these vans, and also that either the Journey/Pacifica version of the 62TE is not compatible, or it is compatible but most people do not realize that it is. The Mopar catalog screenshot I shared suggests that the Journey 3.5l and the Pacifica 4.0l may actually use the same ratios in their 62TEs as the van, but it's hard to say for sure.

I've seen some documentation about servicing these transmissions that suggests that the transmission needs to be calibrated after installation, and that this can only be done with a dealer scan tool. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Here is another interchange list I found on a Mopar reman vendor's page. It looks like they sell the same transmission for all of these vehicles. The only error I can see on it is that I think it should say 2007 for the Pacifica as I don't think there are any 2008 Pacificas (or if there are, there are very few and they are identical to MY 2007).

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a friend who was able to plug into it and read the transmission codes. It was throwing an unknown ratio code and something else. I don't recall the exact codes but it was pointing to an issue with the internal speed sensor and also an issue with the compounder.
The ratio issue is what took my 2012 unit out. Bad 1st gear ratio and it would cause it to stall when in gear.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
A reman or a used one from a full service salvage yard from a like vehicle .Anything else you are taking a greater gamble. Its that simple.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
505 Posts
I get where you're coming from. What I am finding is that almost every GC/T&C in my local junkyards with the 3.8 engine has already been stripped of its transmission. In many cases, the engine is left sitting on the ground! What this tells me is that this is a very common failure on these vans, and also that either the Journey/Pacifica version of the 62TE is not compatible, or it is compatible but most people do not realize that it is. The Mopar catalog screenshot I shared suggests that the Journey 3.5l and the Pacifica 4.0l may actually use the same ratios in their 62TEs as the van, but it's hard to say for sure.

I've seen some documentation about servicing these transmissions that suggests that the transmission needs to be calibrated after installation, and that this can only be done with a dealer scan tool. Can anyone confirm this?
The transmission should do a re-learn all by itself, some people have said after fluid changes it gets rough for a few drives then gets a lot better.
Checked another post on this forum:

Chrysler TSB 18-24-95 describes the retraining procedure that allows the computer to relearn the correct shift points.

1. Disconnect the battery to erase the computer's memory.

2. Reconnect the battery and start the engine.

3. Drive the vehicle while trying to maintain a constant throttle position as it accelerates up through all four gears. If the transmission is shifting properly, it should be in 4th gear by the time you reach 45 to 50 mph. Repeat this procedure from a standing start 15 to 20 times.

4. With the vehicle traveling at less than 25 mph, do five to eight wide open throttle kick-downs to get the transmission to downshift to 1st from 2nd or 3rd gear. Drive in 2nd or 3rd gear for at least five seconds between kick downs and remember to kick it down only when you are going less than 25 mph.

5. While driving at 45 to 50 mph, do five to eight part to wide open throttle kick-downs to either 2nd or 3rd from 4th gear. Again, continue driving for at least five seconds in 4th gear between kick-downs

·
Registered
87 Posts
IIRC There were different final drive ratios even within the same vans (same year, engine, and model) as I've seen it on option sheets. I know my current van has different gearing than my last van. I think there were only 2 on the vans in the early years of gen 5, which is what I have. So it may behoove you to research the gearing on a specific car that is available to you and see if it matches up to your current vans build sheet. With the VIN you can look that up online on the Dodge website.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My transmission guy said 62TE failures are more common than 41TE failures (and Honda Odyssey’s are most prone to fail and a poorer design). From what I understand, like the 41TE, they are not heavy duty enough for many applications and necessitate high efficiency auxiliary filtration and cooling, especially in warm climates and anything but light use.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
505 Posts
My transmission guy said 62TE failures are more common than 41TE failures (and Honda Odyssey’s are most prone to fail and a poorer design). From what I understand, like the 41TE, they are not heavy duty enough for many applications and necessitate high efficiency auxiliary filtration and cooling, especially in warm climates and anything but light use.
Well, having just 4 gears is quite.... Yeah.... At least the 62TE have 6 gears... Lucky people

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wasn't the 41TE literally the only tranny in the world specifically designed for minivan use? Or maybe that was whatever tranny they were using on a previous generation. I believe that's why all the other companies trannies are even worse, they were only designed for midsized sedan use but hauling around an extra couple thousand pounds. I know that's a thing I have heard a few times over the years.

That situation may be better now that there are more CUVs etc that may use the same transmissions and presumably were designed to deal with more power/weight. Either way, every minivan tranny ever seems to have been NOT QUITE beefy enough for the use they receive.
Well, having just 4 gears is quite.... Yeah.... At least the 62TE have 6 gears... Lucky people
Meh. It's okay. I hardly notice any difference in drivability or fuel economy vs previous vehicles I've had. But it's a legit thing that newer trannies with more gears have been proving less reliable than older ones with fewer. That's basically across the board. They may finally be getting it nailed down the last couple years, but it was a problem on a lot of vehicles the last 10 or so years since they started trying to cram as many gears as possible in there.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
A reman or a used one from a full service salvage yard from a like vehicle .Anything else you are taking a greater gamble. Its that simple.
Looks like I'm going to practice what I've preached tranny went last night . reman or rebuilt no other options in my case

·
Registered
87 Posts
Looks like I'm going to practice what I've preached tranny went last night . reman or rebuilt no other options in my case
That's a bummer! What happened to it? A lot of people are eager to just replace the whole thing, but it isn't always needed. On some higher mileage cars it might not even be worth it depending on how everything else is doing.

On my last van I ended up replacing the valve body (or whatever they call that set of components) for ~$700 IIRC, when I'd had multiple mechanics suggest I just replace the whole thing. Even that was overkill because only one subcomponent of that had even gone bad, but I figured doing the whole thing was a nice in between. If I'd listened to mechanics I would have spent thousands, instead it was still trucking along ~60,000 miles later when I sold it.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Reverse went out . With 200 K on the clock I have no problem getting it rebuilt . it may have been repaired or maybe even replaced before with a used unit in 200k .

I didn't buy it new I'm the third owner . I'll feel better knowing it will be behind me for the next 24 months and 24 thousand miles. I knew I was on borrowed time. JUST glad it happened when at home .

I have to admit I've had more than a few warning signs . :rollyeyes:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts