25,834 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Deleted - double post

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have had many sets of Michelins over the last 30+ years and always have been very happy with them. Handling is noticeably better than the tires they replaced and wear (lack of) is excellent. Got my 2019 GC a month ago and I'm happy it came with Michelins (almost all have Yokahamas).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Greetings,

I'm going to need to replace the tires on my 2010 Chrysler T&C within the next couple of months and would like to get a good performing all-season 225/65R16 radial tire. I've been shopping online but get quite confused when reading the reviews on many brands so I thought that I'd cut to the chase and ask you folks what tire you've liked for your 5th generation minivan.

==============================================

Addition 9/10: First of all, many thanks for all of the great responses. To answer some questions, we're generally using the minivan for personal travel and also hauling musical instruments but not necessarily carrying a heavy load. Our winters here in Lexington, KY are usually pretty mild so a basic all-season radial should work fine. If we have really bad snow, I'll switch to my 4wd Ram pickup and leave the minivan in the driveway. I'm looking more for ride quality and good tire adhesion on dry and wet roads.
=============================================

Many thanks!
I have always bought Michelin Tires.. tread wear is around 820 which is very good.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
13,363 Posts
I hate Michelin.

I prefer BF Goodrich, also made by Michelin.

Michelin are good for those who drive few miles per year, but not for me.

·
Super Moderator
25,834 Posts
I hate Michelin.

I prefer BF Goodrich, also made by Michelin.

Michelin are good for those who drive few miles per year, but not for me.
The OE Michelin Energy tires on my Van have been good and wear well.

I had a set of Michelin Defenders years back. They were a very over rated tire, even by Consumer Reports, who gave them a high rating, including good in snow. I give them an F for wear, snow and noise. Their present day Defenders are improved, the more expensive one (T+H) having an extra "single ply of polyamide to stabilize the tread, improving steering response and tire life".

Reactions: Bishop

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager Rallye
815 Posts
Summer tires, and winter tires.
You could spend twice the money on higher end All-Seasons, and they wouldn't be as good as cheaper summer/winter tires in the temperatures and precipitation the tires were designed for. Summer tires have the best performance in wet and dry conditions above 45°, All seasons have the worst performance in wet conditions at all temperatures.

After riding a motorcycle for years, I will never, ever buy a high milage tire again. Treadwear life is the opposite of traction, by purchasing long life tires you are sacrificing grip. Better to not crash and die than to save a few bucks on more frequent tire replacements.

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Grand caravan SXT
73 Posts
I'll be looking at buying new summer and winter tires for the van soon. I'm coming close to 200k, with a 60/40 split between summer and winter miles. In the past, I've had Michelin, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Khumo, and a few Chinese brands (studded winter tires), but I've tended to favor Michelin for summer tires, and Bridgestone for winter, as I've found they gave the best balance between treadwear and traction. I'm currently leaning towards Michelin defender LTX for summer, and Bridgestone blizzak dmv2 for winter. I currently have the factory Khumo solus kh16 for summer (impressed with tread wear, unimpressed with ride and handling), and blizzak dmv1 for the winter (a very good winter tire).

·
Super Moderator
25,834 Posts
Michelin Defender LTX is classified as Highway All Season. Here's the scoop:
"The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts to provide the strength and durability needed to handle heavy loads.
NOTE: The Defender LTX M/S Highway All-Season tire is NOT a dedicated winter / snow tire. It does NOT meet the severe snow traction requirements and is NOT branded with the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol."

Michelin Defender T+H Standard Touring All Season may be a better choice.
"Internally, two wide steel belts are reinforced by a single ply of polyamide to stabilize the tread, improving steering response and tire life. The two-ply body casing is constructed of polyester cord to balance durability and ride comfort".

The extra polyamide tread ply seems to be more common as tire designs are updated. Some use nylon for the extra ply.

Personally, I'm looking at Canadian Tire's General Tire Evertrek RTX and Altimax Arctic12, when on sale (25% off). General is a Continental Tire Company. Evertrek RTX is pretty much the Altimax RT43.

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Grand caravan SXT
73 Posts
I got in the habit of using SUV / light truck winter tires on heavier vehicles. I found that they wear a lot better than the passenger tire equivalent, and still handle very nicely in the nasty stuff. A part of me would like to see if that holds true with summer tires as well, like the LTX. Continental / General, I'm afraid, is another brand that I have no experience with...

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
13,363 Posts
Michelin Defender LTX is classified as Highway All Season. Here's the scoop:
"The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts to provide the strength and durability needed to handle heavy loads.
NOTE: The Defender LTX M/S Highway All-Season tire is NOT a dedicated winter / snow tire. It does NOT meet the severe snow traction requirements and is NOT branded with the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol."

Michelin Defender T+H Standard Touring All Season may be a better choice.
"Internally, two wide steel belts are reinforced by a single ply of polyamide to stabilize the tread, improving steering response and tire life. The two-ply body casing is constructed of polyester cord to balance durability and ride comfort".

The extra polyamide tread ply seems to be more common as tire designs are updated. Some use nylon for the extra ply.

Personally, I'm looking at Canadian Tire's General Tire Evertrek RTX and Altimax Arctic12, when on sale (25% off). General is a Continental Tire Company. Evertrek RTX is pretty much the Altimax RT43.
Michelin are perfect for light vehicles, have more grip than needed. Ligh vehicles would benefit of that fact.

Heavy vehicles don't need that much grip, tires will wear very quickly.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'll be looking at buying new summer and winter tires for the van soon. I'm coming close to 200k, with a 60/40 split between summer and winter miles. In the past, I've had Michelin, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Khumo, and a few Chinese brands (studded winter tires), but I've tended to favor Michelin for summer tires, and Bridgestone for winter, as I've found they gave the best balance between treadwear and traction. I'm currently leaning towards Michelin defender LTX for summer, and Bridgestone blizzak dmv2 for winter. I currently have the factory Khumo solus kh16 for summer (impressed with tread wear, unimpressed with ride and handling), and blizzak dmv1 for the winter (a very good winter tire).
Mine came with Kumho KH16 which I just replaced at 18k for same reason you stated. I put Goodyear Assurance Maxlife on and so far results are positive. Excellent traction in rain as well as dry roads, smooth ride and quiet.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just in case you’re still looking to buy tires. Costco has $150 rebate on four Michelin tires. Cheaper than Tire Rack or any local Tire store. Last month I bought four Bridgestone Turanza Quiet Track with $110 rebate at Costco. These tires were rated #2 on the Tire Rack website.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just in case you’re still looking to buy tires. Costco has $150 rebate on four Michelin tires. Cheaper than Tire Rack or any local Tire store. Last month I bought four Bridgestone Turanza Quiet Track with $110 rebate at Costco. These tires were rated #2 on the Tire Rack website.
I don't know if it is still true, but because Costco has huge buying power, they have sold products with somewhat lower specifications than other places sell. Car manufacturers do the same thing too, putting a dumbed down version of a tire on new cars. So although those Costco Michelins have the same name as the Tire Rack ones, they may not be quite the same.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I’m thinking that Costco sells the same tires that your local tire store sells. Most retailers buy from a distributor. You could contact a tire manufacturer and ask if they sell a down specification tire with the same branding to Costco. Costco has the volume that most tire stores can’t match. Local tire stores do sell name brand tires with promotional prices underwritten by the tire manufacturer.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Summer tires, and winter tires.
You could spend twice the money on higher end All-Seasons, and they wouldn't be as good as cheaper summer/winter tires in the temperatures and precipitation the tires were designed for. Summer tires have the best performance in wet and dry conditions above 45°, All seasons have the worst performance in wet conditions at all temperatures.

After riding a motorcycle for years, I will never, ever buy a high milage tire again. Treadwear life is the opposite of traction, by purchasing long life tires you are sacrificing grip. Better to not crash and die than to save a few bucks on more frequent tire replacements.
I had a set of 225/65R17 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUVs put on my '09 GC this past summer, and couldn't be happier with them:

Exceptionally grippy while being smooth and quiet, they brought renewed joy to my GC driving experience in conjunction with the sport-tuned 2011+ R/T suspension I previously had installed. Definitely a tire that brings out this suspension's full potential. Never again am I having a "jack of all trades, master of none" all-season tire put on it.

Treadwear mileage isn't a big issue for me as I am not a high-mileage driver, plus I live in an area where winter tires are practically a necessity for just over half the year when daily low temperatures are below 7°C/45°F. As my GC is a now just a weekend vehicle for me, I expect to replace its tires primarily due to age, rather than wear.

Needless to say, I got quite the reaction from the tire techs at the local Costco when they found out what my PS4s were going on...

21 - 37 of 37 Posts