The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had to replace the front rotors and pads yesterday. The passenger side rotor was getting chewed by the worn out outboard pad. So the answer to "I have no idea how long they'll last" was 21 months, and the rotor was probably getting scored a couple months ago, so maybe just go with 18 months? We put a lot of miles on our van and that's actually around how long our dealer brake-jobs were lasting too. Those Duralast Gold rotors had a 3-year warranty, and the Duralast Max pads had a lifetime warranty, so all my new parts were free.

I guess I'll be back here in 18 more months. :-/
As it happens, the front brakes (OEM single-piston caliper for 2011) did in fact last exactly 18 months, and required replacement in January. The rear brakes held out until March, and required rotors and pads. The passenger side rear caliper then seized and caused that brake to drag and overheat the pads and rotor. 154,000 miles on OEM calipers is pretty reasonable, so I had to re-do the rear brakes with new rear [single piston] calipers, another new rotor for the passenger side, new pads for the rear (again) and had the driver side rear rotor (2 months old) resurfaced.

Basically, for the cost of new front calipers, rotors, pads, 4 larger wheels, 4 new tires, and 1 new larger spare and tire, I can probably replace the brakes a half-dozen or so times. I'd love to have larger wheels and tires, but the cost is prohibitive for me, so I'm stuck with just swapping out brakes as needed. Averaging around 17000 miles a year on our van, I'm needing to replace brakes every 18 months. YMMV.

·
Registered
18 Posts
see lots of comments here re wheel size and whether or not the hd brakes will fit your wheel. A bit of caution; I ordered for my 2012 limited (which I believe to have the "hd" brakes) 20

61 - 63 of 63 Posts