The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

4.0 liter vs. 3.6 liter engine durability.

27K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  tbloesch 
#1 ·
Hello, I've been thinking about moving to a used RT or WDRT van from 2008 and up. Latest ones I've owned are through 2007 presently. I already am familiar with the 3.3 and 3.8. Unfortunately, they were kept until 2010, and now are gone. If I bought a 2011 + Grand Caravan of T&C, how are the 3.6 and 4.0 engines over time? I've heard about the cam phasing issue causing problems in the 3.6L, and being a costly repair. Also on the 3.6L, the issue with the oil filter housing. However I think they crack when people over torque the filter when doing an oil change. I've never had a problem with the 3.3 or 3.8 engines. 96 Grand, 2003 Grand & 2007 Short. All ran perfect. Are these newer engines good, bad or ugly? Thanks for any opinions.

#2 ·
The 4.0l was also gone after 2010.

#3 ·
The 4.0L has a timing belt. Enough said.

Reactions: Sienile
#6 ·
IMHO the use of a timing belt is not a reason to rule out an engine. Timing chains fail as well. The key to an engine with a timing belt is to replace the belt at the recommended interval.

I have had 2 vehicles with the 4.0 engine. On both I had the timing belt replaced, the current 2008 T&C had the belt changed at 114011 miles, shortly after I bought it. The previous owner had not changed the timing belt as recommended so I had it done. (van was running fine when I had the timing belt changed) To me, this was just required maintenance like regular oil changes.

I love driving these T&C Limited with all the bells and whistles. They come with the 4.0 engine and I now have 124000 miles on this engine with no problems.

#4 ·
2011+ is 3.6 only. It was so good they didn't see a need to keep the older style engines. It had some flaws in the early years, but not many people with 2015+ having any major issues.

Reactions: Road Ripper
#5 ·
There's a lot of information here but consider that problems mentioned have been mostly fixed over the years.

DODGE GRAND CARAVAN
MODEL YEAR COMPARISON

The 3.6L engine was used exclusively 2011 onward. The later years are faring very well overall.

#7 ·
I rule out timing belts, especially on interference engines. I had a timing belt in a Neon (interference engine) which did not fail, and a timing belt in a 2.4 Cirrus (non-interference) which did fail. Yes, it's an maintenance item, but a complicated and costly one at that.

Reactions: LEVY and georgef
#8 ·
The 4.0L is a good engine, especially the I6 4.0L in my Jeep. :)
The V6 4.0L is good engine as well, but changing the timing belt, water pump, tensioner and such at the same time is additional maintenance that, if forgotten about and not budgeted for, can be devastating. Just an additional red flag to watch out for. The less red flags, the better, the way I see it. Doesn't mean I wouldn't own one.

#9 ·
I personally prefer the 4.0L over the 3.6L.
It has a better torque band that makes it far more livable for daily use, it's smoother, and it doesn't need to be revved to get moving.
Sure it has a timing belt, but just like other maintenance items, you do it at the required intervals and it's good to go for another 100k.

#10 ·
I personally prefer the 4.0L over the 3.6L.
It has a better torque band that makes it far more livable for daily use, it's smoother, and it doesn't need to be revved to get moving.
Sure it has a timing belt, but just like other maintenance items, you do it at the required intervals and it's good to go for another 100k.
Thanks for everyone's opinion on this. I'm a lot less concerned about these engines since reading your comments. Of course, it's a matter of keeping up the maintenance, and not beating on the vehicle when driving it.

#12 ·
I've had far more problems with chains than belts over the years, including on Nissans and VW/Audi engines. Chains stretch and cause problems over time, tensioners break, etc. Contrary to popular myth, belts don't really stretch but rather just break, but extremely rare prior to the scheduled maintenance interval. It's a ~$700 maintenance item once every 102k miles when other major maintenance is also required, and timing belts are very reliable. In my experience, when a chain fails it usually causes devastating engine damage from the shrapnel, and even if it doesn't, replacing a failed or slack/stretched timing chain is usually far more involved (i.e., more expensive) than a scheduled timing belt R&R.

But reasonable minds can disagree.

Society today prefers disposable items anyway, which is why we have "lifetime" transmission fluids and coolant, etc. Self-fulfilling prophesies....

#15 ·
Do chains really stretch, or is it the sprockets that wear in between the teeth and get "smaller" creating chain slack?

You shouldn't just rely on mileage to change a timing belt. If it's 7 years old or more, time to change it.

Thanks for the feedback in this thread. It's tempting me to swap a 4.0 into my van. I already have too many projects! :ROFLMAO:

#16 ·
If a chain stretches it's either been horribly maintained, has a binding valvetrain, or it's just a cheap chain. The chain can wear down just like the sprockets, but since it is a harder metal it will take a very long time to see it... unless horribly maintained. :p Maintenance is key, as always.

#17 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.