The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe the answer is obvious, but I can’t figure it, and the owner’s manual doesn’t help. When you select “auto hi” or “auto lo”, what does the hi and low refer to? Temperature? Fan speed? What? The fan speed seems the same regardless of which I select, and the up/down buttons set the three zone temperatures.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Automatic temperature regulation with automatic blower control up to highest maximum blower speed.
Automatic temperature regulation with automatic blower control up to a lower maximum blower speed.

My blower speeds differ greatly between those two settings. I've always thought of it as letting the system control the blower speed for optimal results... either at a lower maximum speed for less noise, or up to the highest speed for optimal results when you can tolerate the added blower noise. IIRC, it drops out of this mode the moment you adjust the blower to specific setting, no? I believe selecting a specific fan setting drops you out of automatic temperature regulation mode.

Maybe your speeds don't seem significantly different because your weather is milder? I'm pretty far down south where it gets pretty extremely hot... such that I bet the system just can't keep up at the lower blower settings during the heat of the day. I believe that once the selected temperature is reached, the blower will then drop off as low as possible while still maintaining the selected temperature. If your weather is milder and the system can keep up at lower blower levels, then perhaps you see no significant difference once your van is cooled. Do you notice a difference when you first begin to cool down a hot interior?

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
1,891 Posts
Listen to @ScuzziOne

The two automatic modes control airflow direction and recirculation, too.

The wife finds the fan noise on both Automatic modes annoying. HI = TORNADO mode, LO = Tropical Storm she says. o_O :ROFLMAO: She thinks they take too long to drop down to quieter modes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, ScuzziOne, I was playing with this in fairly mild weather, which may account for the lack of difference in fan speed between the two modes.

Thanks to you and also Carbuff2 for the replies; now I understand the system better.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Also realize that this 'automatic' fan control uses an infrared sensor. In the center vent is a little glass like 'camera' looking thing, that is the sensor and it is trying to judge the temperature inside the cabin.

Clean this lens with a dry cotton swab or even with an alcohol cotton swab and then dry with dry cotton swab.

There is also a infrared sensor for the rear hvac controls in the roof panel. Small, round if I remember correctly.

Reactions: Carbuff2
1 - 5 of 5 Posts