1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
fix it if you can
5,303 Posts
Before you buy, find and read the install instructions.
I can't quite imagine how one would be able to raise the body 3" and still use the same half-axles...

·
the Mopar guy
1,172 Posts
Im going to be that nobody ever has lifted a 4th gen Caravan

Not to say i haven't seen lifted Caravans....but they were hacked up and put on other frames

·
Registered
74 Posts
I believe that the webpage must have an error. Those look to be body spacers and/or leaf spring shackle dropping plates. I wouldn't put too much faith in in. Also if you look it up on Summit it indicates it's for a Ford Bronco. It'd be neat to have a true off road van, like the Mitsubishi Delica but lets face it our vans were never designed to take on the twisting forces that are incurred when venturing off into the woods. That's my two cents :biggring:

·
Super Moderator
4,833 Posts
The only way a spacer kit like this would work on the front of a van is to place the spacers between the engine cradle and the body. This would require you to lengthen the radiator hoses, trans line etc...
To jack up the back, since the Gen4 still has leaf springs is very straight forward.
It can be done with U bolts/shackles or spacers between the spring mounts and body.

·
Latent car nut
9,199 Posts
To jack up the back, since the Gen4 still has leaf springs is very straight forward.
The OP says he has an AWD model; do they have leaf springs in back as well?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Why?

This is like the thread on tying down the rear hatch lid, do what I did buy a beater pickup. I paid $2500.00 for my 4wd 2000 Chevy Silverado. Put on 4 new tires, a fuel pump and a water pump. It is high mileage and has no creature comforts but heat and air. It's a work truck with standard cab and 8 foot bed. It gets driven when it snows with salt on the roads and whenever I need to haul anything. The rocker panels are gone and the bed is rusting but it will last my life time.

We love our vans but sometimes we are really glad we have that pick up sitting out back.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the wonderful input and advice! I had a little extra cash so I ordered it because it's wasn't that expensive. I have no plans on going off roading on purpose. Maybe an occasional dirt road when camping (not real off roading). I just thought it would be fun to be up higher on the road, easier to change the oil, and I could maybe miss the occasional Damn rock thats waiting for me on this one particular road I have to drive on occasionally thats on the side of a cliff (Im on my second trans pan).

I didn't really think of what might be involved in great detail until all the helpful input. I'll take a look at the kit when it arrives and update this thread when/if any progress takes place. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
4,833 Posts
The OP says he has an AWD model; do they have leaf springs in back as well?
Yes all the vans have rear leafs until Gen5.
Thank you all for the wonderful input and advice! I had a little extra cash so I ordered it because it's wasn't that expensive. I have no plans on going off roading on purpose. Maybe an occasional dirt road when camping (not real off roading). I just thought it would be fun to be up higher on the road, easier to change the oil, and I could maybe miss the occasional Damn rock thats waiting for me on this one particular road I have to drive on occasionally thats on the side of a cliff (Im on my second trans pan).

I didn't really think of what might be involved in great detail until all the helpful input. I'll take a look at the kit when it arrives and update this thread when/if any progress takes place. Thanks again.
If you raise just the body its not going to get the trans pan any further away from the ground. :(

·
Latent car nut
9,199 Posts
Yes all the vans have rear leafs until Gen5.
Thanks; I wonder why I was under the impression the AWD vans had a different rear suspension. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,141 Posts
Showing my ignorance of gen 5 what do they have coils and independent rear?
YES to the coil springs and NO to the independent rear.

George

·
fix it if you can
5,303 Posts
What's wrong with a Duramax Diesel in a lifted minivan :lol:
Never trust a salesman, find the application & install manual from the manufacturer...

·
the Mopar guy
1,172 Posts
heck, you can get a beater Jeep (Cherokee) for like $500.

I take back what I said earlier, I have seen these vans lifted. Activans (wheel chair conversions) had a bit of lift.

·
fix it if you can
5,303 Posts
I take back what I said earlier, I have seen these vans lifted. Activans (wheel chair conversions) had a bit of lift.
Are the wheel chair vans raised in the front? (would be interesting to see how they do it)

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
13,363 Posts
heck, you can get a beater Jeep (Cherokee) for like $500.

The wheelchair vans I know are lowered, not raised, to make it easier to load the wheelchair, some even use airbags to lower the van when user is entering the vehicle, then it rises back to normal.

·
the Mopar guy
1,172 Posts
Some are raised in the front, yes. Every company does it differently though. And as far as them being lowered....I've never seen one lowered. They usually raise them because they have a lower floor, especially vans that allow you to roll up into the back (non lift style). Most use Running boards compensate.

We had a few come through the Chrysler dealer I worked at, but I never got to see them on a hoist.

·
Woody Status
512 Posts
Yep, all i have ever seen is lifted vans with lowered floor pans.

Well, I have seen lowered Econolines for wheel chair access, but that is a whole different platform.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts