The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3.6 almost has a hundred thousand miles on it. I'm not sure if the transmission was ever service so I've had this vehicle five months now and I want to check the fluid level properly. It has no dipstick but it does have a cap that says dealer use only. I know that's the transmission cap. Is there a way to check the level using the oil dipstick?
Also I'm having an issue with the transmission where are the vehicle goes into limp mode. I assume it does that so as to not damage the transmission. It seems like something electrical as is always the case with newer vehicles.
So I need to check the transmission fluid level just to make sure it's not a low condition because I don't want to drive it until I know some facts. Then I will need to know if I can service the transmission myself in my driveway.
tia

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,063 Posts
AWD? Must be a Pacifica. That's 6th gen. There's a fill port on the side, but to change the filter requires transmission disassembly.

·
Super Moderator
26,429 Posts
Assuming the vehicle has the 62TE transmission, mark off your motor oil dipstick and use it to check the transmission fluid level.
Level should be okay unless there are leaks evident.

Reactions: LEVY

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AWD? Must be a Pacifica. That's 6th gen. There's a fill port on the side, but to change the filter requires transmission disassembly.
actually its a journey but it lists it as a wagon. it looks the same as the van almost. just slightly different body style on the same frame.
i posted because of the same engine 3.6l vvt pentastar.
am i in the wrong thread?
well i hope i can get some info still.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,063 Posts
No, just the Journey's aren't really considered vans, but SUVs... CUVs actually. 5th gen would be the most similar to yours. Layout is different from the one I mentioned in the Pacifica.

There's a chart that shows fluid level in relation to trans fluid temp. Being it's a Journey, you don't have to jump through hoops like we do to see the trans temp, it's on your EVIC screen. You'll need a gauged dipstick and that chart to get it set properly according to the manual. Many trust the dipstick hack Jeepman is referring too, but I don't. Drain it by dropping the lower pan. Replace the filter while you're in there. Add 5.5 qts to start and add 1/4 qt at a time, cycling through gears after each add, until you match the level on the chart for your temp. FWD 62TEs typically use 6-6.5 qts on a change. AWD may be more, not sure.

·
Super Moderator
26,429 Posts
Dipstick hack? No way Jose. :) That's how we have been checking transmission fluid levels for decades. Can't depend on temperature alone.
The same charts, you refer to, were available for the 41TE.
Obviously the transmission level doesn't have to be exact, that's why there was always a croshatched area on the dipstick and explained in the Owner's Manual. :)
What was specific was "do not overfill".

·
Registered
75 Posts
Came here just now to find the answer to the very same question, but I have a 2014 Grand Caravan.
I will have to search around for this dipstick hack you speak of.

·
Super Moderator
26,429 Posts
Came here just now to find the answer to the very same question, but I have a 2014 Grand Caravan.
I will have to search around for this dipstick hack you speak of.
A couple Posts to help you out:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ok, so "5-15mm for cold, 40-55 for hot" using a generic dipstick? Ill give it a try after I do the trans cooler lines, its probably a little low now judging by the drips on my driveway.

·
Super Moderator
26,429 Posts
Ok, so "5-15mm for cold, 40-55 for hot" using a generic dipstick? Ill give it a try after I do the trans cooler lines, its probably a little low now judging by the drips on my driveway.
Here's a video on marking the oil dipstick off:

Some pointers:
The bottom of the pan doesn't come into play. There's a stop in place. before the bottom of the pan, which does come into play, to stop the dipstick, so a reading can be taken. There are pictures of that stop on this Forum.
Three readings can be taken, same as this information on the 41TE, all on a level surface:
  • when fluid is "hot" (OM), like after 15 miles of driving. Keep in mind that transmission fluid and motor oil take longer to warm up than your coolant so a warm engine doesn't necessarily mean the transmission fluid is at operating temperature i.e. "hot".
  • when fluid is "cold" (OM), a couple minutes after cold startup.
  • when fluid is cold and not flowing (quick cursory check) . This is a "quick check" to determine the amount of fluid in the transmission in case you have concerns. With vehicle on a level surface, engine not running, engine stone cold, check the level. It should be above the full "hot" mark by quite a bit (not yet determined for the 62TE).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts