The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
I'm sure all those GM 60 degree V6 owners with Dexcool replacing intake gaskets wish they had something like the 3.0 in their vans. Or owners of the Toyota and Chrysler sludge monster engines.
Didn't you mean "Dexkill"? Heh. Man, GM has really stepped in it with that crap.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Those GM intake manifold gaskets are somewhat weak even without the dexcool. I had a GM 3800 engine (90 degree V6) blow its intake manifold gasket, albeit close to 200,000 miles. All it took was a little bit of corrosion on the mating surfaces to crush the plastic carrier and cause a leak. The problem seemed inherent to the gasket design.

- G

·
Registered
82 Posts
I concour - I get exactly 60MPH (100kPH) at 2000 RPM with the 3.3L

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like 3.3 L and 3.8 L

Friend of mine has a 1994 Concord with a 3.3L it has 276,000 miles on it and still going. I have a GV with a 3.3L with 90,100 only thing with the motor is the oil pan gasket. My folks had a GC with a 3.8L it went 300,000 before it was give a way. Now the 3.0L is whole other thing, they love oil so much that I have help a few buddy do an valve job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

What's everyone's experience with the 3.3L? I'm interested in longevity information, known issues, etc. Assuming everyone has read my last post, I found a replacement for the dead '98. It's a 2000 with the 3.3L and about 98,000 miles. Seems tight and strong, although after the 3.0L anything might seem strong. I realize that I'm probably preaching to the choir, but I'm interested in informed opinions.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike,

I have a Chrysler 2006 Town and Country minivan. Today's date is 05-22-2020. The car now has 137,500 miles on it. The engine is now shot. My mechanic say it is the head gasket. That repair would cost anywhere from $2500-$3800. That is too much for a 14 year old car. Time for a new car. I live in NYC in Queens. A lot of urban stop and go driving. Is it a good engine, yes, but city driving killed it.If you do a lot of highway mile it will last much longer. The car is being sold for scrap. By the way, I bought it used one year old with 12k miles on it. It gave us long loyal service.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,041 Posts
Mike,

I have a Chrysler 2006 Town and Country minivan. Today's date is 05-22-2020. The car now has 137,500 miles on it. The engine is now shot. My mechanic say it is the head gasket. That repair would cost anywhere from $2500-$3800. That is too much for a 14 year old car. Time for a new car. I live in NYC in Queens. A lot of urban stop and go driving. Is it a good engine, yes, but city driving killed it.If you do a lot of highway mile it will last much longer. The car is being sold for scrap. By the way, I bought it used one year old with 12k miles on it. It gave us long loyal service.
Welcome.

In case you don't know, Mike registered back on June 18, 2008.

Posted a couple of times same day and left to never came back.

Yes, you are replying to a 10+ yeard old post.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,826 Posts
Was the engine maintained? That is the exception, not the rule. These engines will go 300,000 miles or more with proper care, as long as you don't have any problems with the rocker shaft pedestals breaking off.

Reactions: homdasloh

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

What's everyone's experience with the 3.3L? I'm interested in longevity information, known issues, etc. Assuming everyone has read my last post, I found a replacement for the dead '98. It's a 2000 with the 3.3L and about 98,000 miles. Seems tight and strong, although after the 3.0L anything might seem strong. I realize that I'm probably preaching to the choir, but I'm interested in informed opinions.

Thanks,

Mike
I have a 2000 grand caravan sport w/240 K miles & a new set of tires, has the 3.3 dodge engine thank goodness. Im a do it yourself guy most jobs- Ive had some jobs too doooo--
lots of tensioning & Idler pulleys, transmition 1 warranty one not, headliner, just did original alternator change ( alt. actually bench tested good but elect. went insane so after new battery/then alt, seems OK , power steering pump couple years ago, changed front end wear items after it became really sloppy & was killing tires, 3 power window assemblies (2 driver & 1 passenger side). original ac system & rear air still blowing but compressor is loud, leaks some freon. Headlight panel control switch, ac fan control on dash works on all speeds accept #3 currently. Both turnsignal s work fine but the indicator lights in upper dash dont light up as of this month.... doesnt burn oil but leaks quite a bit.. We had a 92 caravan that was great when my 3 kids were little so i got the 2000 w/ about 20 K miles at purchase, deep south, mostly kept outside so clear coat is leaving my wifes sinking ship.

in closing, still rides great/super comfortable seats & with seats out- you can move any kid to college, holds more crap than most pick ups....but alas my last dodge forever!!!!

wanna buy it, make you a great deal

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks,

Mike
In my opinion..The 3.0l mits motor is garbage..their belts break..valve seats drop causing them to burn oil..etc.,The chrysler engines on the other hand are great..i swear by 3.3l..3.8l and the 2.5l(turbo or non)..i won't even touch it if it has a mits motor in it.Both my current vans have a 3.3l and a 3.8l..The 01 t+c has 211,000 on it n still running very strong n ive done very little to it in the past 3 and half yrs of owning it..so yes the 3.3l is a very durable engine..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks,

Mike
I have two 2005 minivans, one with a 3.3, the other a 3.8. Both have 220,000 miles. I changed valve cover gaskets on both, due to leaking & the covers & rockers looked brand new. The only issue I ever had were cam & crank sensors failure. They both run great, the 3.8 has more power, but overall, very dependable! No vacuum leaks or bearing noise. The 4 speed trany are both dry, shifting crisply with no issues. I change the fluid every year via the dip stick tube. I'd like to see 300,000, but the bodys will rot out first I'm afraid. New England is tough on steel.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts