The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,566 Posts
Since official EPA nor official estimates goes beyond 25 mpg, I don't buy it.

Official estimate average 16.5 to 23.0 mpg.

Average one way trip doesn't count. You might be going downhill (or uphill) without noticing.

·
Registered
2009 Chrysler Town & Country
8 Posts
Since official EPA nor official estimates goes beyond 25 mpg, I don't buy it.

Official estimate average 16.5 to 23.0 mpg.

Average one way trip doesn't count. You might be going downhill (or uphill) without noticing.
I don't care. You already noted your skepticism once, no need to repeat yourself.

·
Registered
2009 Chrysler Town & Country
8 Posts
After driving around Lexington for about a half hour and some hold time in a drive-thru, here's the start and finish of my journey back home.

All downhill, of course. ;). Because, y'know, eastern Kentucky is well known for being all downhill on I-64 no matter which way you travel it.

Ended at 26.0 MPG @ 55 MPH. It peaked at 26.3 MPG but the last mile of my trip was entirely uphill to the Pilot at exit 113.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm a somewhat conservative driver, concerned more for economy than speed. Freeway speeds are 65-70 mph with occasionally 75. Experience has shown that my computer calculated ave. mpg error can be much as 15% (hign of course).Therefore I calculate MPG=mles driven/fuel quantity. The following are results for 4-years driving between Tucson and the Seattle area. My best millage is when I can buy 85 octane in Utah and Idaho. Incidentally, the odometer in this car is unbelievably accurate. After 1500-1600 miles it reads with my GPS within 10-12 miles!
---2016 Tucson to Seattle--- 29.3 ave. mpg & Seattle to Tucson---27.8 ave. mpg
---2017 Tucson to Seattle---- 28.9 ave. mpg & Seattle to Tucson----28.1 ave. mpg
---2018 Tucson to Seattle----28.1 ave. mpg & Seattle to Tucson----27.2 ave. mpg
---2019 Tucson to Seattle---- 28.1 ave. mpg & Seattle to Tucson---- 27.8 ave. mpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
About 4 years ago I topped off my 2014 AVP (traded in 2018) in Bowling Green, KY and headed north to Indianapolis. This is a stripped van, lighter than the SXT models- anyway there was a lot of construction and traffic was going much slower than usual. I stopped at the first rest stop in Indiana and continued in the right lane- 45-55mph most of the time. I stopped at a gasoline station at the Greenwood exit to fill up, as I didn't believe the readout= I had 30.2 mpg for around 220 miles. I always used the econ mode. On a summer vacation trip from Florida to Maine in 2015, it was common to get 28 mpg when I filled up, as long as the road was flat and no construction. I attribute the good numbers to a lighter van and no roof rack- and I always ran 38 psi in my tires.
Now , if they still had the shorter voyager van, it would have been a 30 mpg road machine.

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler Town and Country Touring
265 Posts
I know the 5th gen vans are a bit heavy, but was a bit surprised they don't get better fuel economy than they do I figured that by now the engineers at Chrysler would have worked out a way to get close to 30mpg out of them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have no proof, only my personal observations, but I think the engine fuel mixture is leaned out a tad more when you set the cruise control,as they are not worried as much about driveabilty issues, from a quick application of the gas pedal, when the cruise is on. I noticed with an HHR I had, that on a flat road to work, I got 28mpg on the digital readout at 55-60 mph, but if I set the cruise and backed off the gas pedal until it set, I could get 30 mpg- same speed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
When I go to see family which is 6 hrs round trip I hand calculated to many times and always around 27.5. The only vehicle I have had that I can go round trips. This is not all interstate mind you. It takes 3 hours to drive 150 miles each way then some point I have to drive to next town so never a consistent speed.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts