The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm new to this forum.

I just bought a 2019 grand caravan. For a week all has been fine. Last night i noticed the front left headlamp is out.

My assumption was a bad bulb. took the bulb out and it looked fine, tested the bulb, fine, replaced with a new one, still no lights. Jiggled switches, fuses, etc. No light. All other lights seem to work normally.

Not sure about the fuses or relays in the totaly integrated digital mess they call a fuse box.

Suggestions? Guidance, and a wiring diagram if available would be helpful.

Car is still fully warranted. Going to the dealer is misery, they won't fix it, I'll get the run around, and a lost day of work.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
That happened to me temporarily when the fuse box was left open and got wet.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
See if a battery disconnect alters the behavior.

·
Super Moderator
24,417 Posts
Neither bright nor dim nor daytime running lights?

Neither parking nor signal lights?

Check the connection to the wiring harness. If that's the problem, clean and add a little dielectric grease.

Keep in mind, with daytime running lights, a headlight will go out when that signal light is on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Neither bright nor dim nor daytime running lights?

Neither parking nor signal lights?

Check the connection to the wiring harness. If that's the problem, clean and add a little dielectric grease.

Keep in mind, with daytime running lights, a headlight will go out when that signal light is on.
all light work normally except one headlight.

is there a fuse or relay, are they individually wired or fed in parallel ?

·
Super Moderator
24,417 Posts
Sockets can act up and need replacing. Check power to the connection at the harness.

Check the diagram on the cover of the power center for relays and fuses. Your Owner Manual has information as well.

Looks like M17 and M18 are the left and right fuses from this source:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealers in my area are all 1 star.
Never rely on someone else to do what u should.
Really I am looking for a wiring diagram.
in another post I asked for a link to a service tool That post is totally silent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sockets can act up and need replacing. Check power to the connection at the harness.

Check the diagram on the cover of the power center for relays and fuses. Your Owner Manual has information as well.

Looks like M17 and M18 are the left and right fuses from this source:
Thank u for that.
my eyes can’t make out the small lettering on the inside of the fuse box. I was looking for a magnifier.
I can use a multi tester to check fuses And for power at the socket

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I made an appointment at a local dealer for this Tuesday to see what's up with this.
Heads it is the Totally integrated problem, or tails it is a wiring issue.

There are 4 dealers, 2 in reasonable proximity to my home. None have more than a 1 star rating on Yelp.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Good luck, I feel your pain. Based on my experience, first thing they will do is replace the bulb at your cost (parts and labour).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so i took the car to the local dealer. Star Dodge on Jamaica Ave, Queens NYC.

After explaining my problem to the front desk they figured they were changing a bulb and charging me for my trouble. I said no it is not a bulb issue, this is a warranty visit. Then everything changed. I had to sign that i would pay 150 for diagnostic fee if the problem is because of "outside issues".

So i told them do not do anything if it is not covered under warranty. So they call me an hr latter and say the car was in an accident and that is why the light was out and the supervisor said it wouldn't be a warranty issue. I said the car was not in an accident. back and forth back and forth. They wouldn't even touch the car, and blamed me for the accident.

I said fine, called Corporate and put in a complaint. Then i told them you have ok to do the diagnostic test to tell me what is wrong for 150. Then they checked and found the TIPM was faulty. Also saying it was damaged in the accident and would not be covered. Again no accident. Car was never hit.

Much fighting later, they covered the replacement under warranty.

When i picked the car up, three days later, Air Bag light is on. They said it was on when i brought it in. It was not. The mechanic that worked on it, wrote in pen on the back of the paperwork, "Air Bag light on" as if it was on when i brought it in.

I told them to fix it and they said it is on because of this fictitious accident. It wasn't on when i brought it in. So all i can figure is they did something that made the light come on.

I took my car, ordered a service manual, and looking for a good service tool now. Dealer service sucks. Why anyone goes to them is a mystery to me.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yeah, that's how FCA dealers roll. The battery on my 9 mo old Journey was stone dead. They blamed the dashcam being left plug in even though the outlet is switched. They said nothing was wrong with the battery, charged it for 4 hours and graciously waived the nothing found wrong fee. 12 hours later it was stone dead again. Rather than take another day off work I just bought a new battery myself. No problem since.

·
Super Moderator
24,417 Posts
Yeah, that's how FCA dealers roll. The battery on my 9 mo old Journey was stone dead. They blamed the dashcam being left plug in even though the outlet is switched. They said nothing was wrong with the battery, charged it for 4 hours and graciously waived the nothing found wrong fee. 12 hours later it was stone dead again. Rather than take another day off work I just bought a new battery myself. No problem since.
Nine month old battery shouldn't die, not usually. Stone dead is really rare. Charging it would be a course of action to verify if the battery is good or bad. Then they would replace it.

Batteries failing, like tires flattening, have their own schedule. It's very seldom convenient.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nine month old battery shouldn't die, not usually. Stone dead is really rare. Charging it would be a course of action to verify if the battery is good or bad. Then they would replace it.

Batteries failing, like tires flattening, have their own schedule. It's very seldom convenient.
It was too low to test, even though I had had it on a charger for 24 hours. They charged for half a day and tested it. They showed me the printout and it passed, but not by much. They said FCA won't reimburse them under warranty unless the printout confirms a fail.

It had a P0652 code so no way would I pay a "no fault found" charge.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts