The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My van developed what seems to be an oil adapter leak sometime in the last couple weeks.

Any ‘gotchas’ or ‘lessons learned’ before I dive in to put in a new one?

The new adapter, along with upper and lower intake gaskets, are scheduled to arrive Thursday.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
844 Posts
Where does it leak from exactly?

I am not sure about our vans, but i also had a leak from the oil filter adapter piece, and it was a different vehicle. I was pretty confident that it was the oil filter adapter which was bad, but turned out that there was a nut that fit onto the threads before the oil filter goes on, which secured the adapter piece to the engine block.

That nut was loose, and when i remove the filter to remove the adapter piece, I noticed that it was very loose. When I remove that nut, I could slide off the whole adapter piece.

Before you order any more parts, take off the oil filter and see if there is a nut there too. If it was loose, then no wonder it was leaking oil.

Realistically speaking, unless something hit the oil filter or the oil filter housing, it doesn't have a reason to be "bad" other then being loosely screwed on as the housing itself, wherever the screws, bolts, or nuts are that hold it in place. Gaskets could be bad, but you don't have a very old vehicle, they should be fine.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Maybe do plugs at the same time, since you have the upper manifold off.

Reactions: Sunvanse

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...Before you order any more parts, take off the oil filter and see if there is a nut there too. If it was loose, then no wonder it was leaking oil....
Thanks for sharing!! I’ll take a look like you suggested tomorrow.

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe do plugs at the same time, since you have the upper manifold off.
Yeah....the plugs have ~12k on them. I’ll definitely use the opportunity to give them a looksee and re-gap if necessary.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I don't know what nut could be loose. The oil filter housing is kinda one continuous piece around the filter. The cap screws on, and that has an o-ring that could leak.

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is an oil pressure and oil temp sensor on the unit. There are also a few seals on the bottom side of the unit. There are lots of things that could spring a leak on the oil filter adapter/cooler unit.

It’s pretty clear there’s something leaking with the unit. There’s a goodly amount of oil pooled at the base of the filter housing. Oil is running across the engine and pooling on top of the trans. I saw no evidence of it leaking from the filter’s screw on cap.

My oil level is barely in the “safe” zone of the dipstick. I checked the oil a couple weeks ago and it was a touch under the top “safe” line.

I plan to begin disassembly tomorrow so it will be ready for the install when the replacement parts arrive later this week.

I’ll check the plugs while I’m waiting for the parts to arrive.

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tore down everything to the point where the adapter/cooler assembly is ready to be removed once I unfasten the five etorx bolts, the oil pressure & oil temperature sensors.

It looks like the oil temperature sensor could be leaking a little. That said, I see nothing that indicates it is the source of the leak which is causing the amount of oil pooled up in the valley, on top of the transmission, and that’s covering the underside of the front, driver’s side.

There is a lot of oil pooled up underneath/around the filter housing.

I’m currently at a pause until I get the etorx sockets and the new adapter and gaskets I ordered. They are scheduled to arrive Thursday or Friday.

The plugs are 14 months old with 23k miles. They looked great and were still gapped at .043”.

@Michalb After removing the filter, there is no nut or anything similar inside the oil filter housing. The adapter assembly is solidly attached to the block. I can post pictures if you’d like to see.

The large, troublesome leak must be coming from a crack in the plastic that I can’t see or from one of the seals on the underside of the adapter/oil cooler assembly.

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh! I forgot to mention, those red locking fuel injector clips are the bane of my existence!!

I found them to be quite problematic when I fixed the rocker arm ticking issue I had a few months ago.

This time, I ended up completely destroying the red lock clip on the #4 injector before I could get it out! I ended up having to drill away some of it so I could wedge a pair of thin needle nose pliers down in the clip assembly to pull out the red lick clip.

I decided to buy a bunch of spare clips to have in hand in the event I find myself destroying them past the point of usability during some future repair.

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Below is a picture of the valley in which the oil filter adapter assembly sits underneath the lower intake manifold. What are these sensors that sit underneath the oil filter adapter?

·
Super Moderator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,098 Posts
Those are knock sensors.

If they are like the ones on the 3.8L engine, tightening them to the correct torque is critical.

Reactions: beretta96

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
A 1/4" hex socket works just fine on them. 6mm was too small, 7mm was loosey-goosey.

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got the new oil filter adapter & lower intake gaskets installed Thursday evening. No problems with the install....it was pretty straightforward. Again, those freakin' fuel injector locks were the most challenging part of the job. Kudos to Motor City Mechanic and his awesome videos for helping me get through the replacement.

My next project is to replace the emergency brake lever. It broke a few months ago. I've had it zip tied to keep it from engaging.

While doing the oil filter adapter, I found a little piece of plastic in the valley underneath the original adapter. I have no idea what it's from. I suspect it's a gift the assembly technicians left for me when they built the van.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts