The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone reading!

2014 Chrysler Town and Country

WHAT DOES BRAKE SIG 1 AND BRAKE SIG 2 DO or CONTROL going to the PCM???

ID each please.
This may not be the correct schematic.... I got it off the internet... I forget where..

EDIT: Long story short, I'm putting in a Brake Light Kill Switch. I've cut and interrupted the WHT/DK GRN from switch pin 1, which kills the brake lights when the van is off. But the bottom 2 brake lights still function when the van is running. Before I cut the LT BLU/DK GRN from pin 4 and the DK GRN/WHT from pin 6, I'd like to know what exactly what they control.

eDIT2: Don't laugh, but I'm going to oval track drive this van a few times and in previous racecars I like to put in a brake light kill switch as seeing someone's brake lights can give the guy behind you a slight advantage as to know when he should start braking.

Racevan. 馃弫

Thanks for the help!!!

original.jpg

Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
It's to let the PCM know when you are braking. Many reasons for this: disengage cruise control, push button startup, torque management, transmission interlock, etc.

Reactions: jeremy85

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's to let the PCM know when you are braking. Many reasons for this: disengage cruise control, push button startup, torque management, transmission interlock, etc.
I get that. I'm looking for exact function of each. There's 2, so I'm guessing each has one specific function and that's what I'm trying to find out. I've searched the net for days so my last ditch effort was asking here in this great community. :geek:

Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
Not sure which is the case, but they are most likely a resistive or "power on" signal and not a data line. If that's the case, one will be a 5 volt reference and the other a return to ground inside the PCM. If they are data lines, they would also have polarity, but the voltage would be much lower. You can't connect them backwards on a data line switch, but the other types should still work if connected backwards.

Why are you asking? Having some issues?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure which is the case, but they are most likely a resistive or "power on" signal and not a data line. If that's the case, one will be a 5 volt reference and the other a return to ground inside the PCM. If they are data lines, they would also have polarity, but the voltage would be much lower. You can't connect them backwards on a data line switch, but the other types should still work if connected backwards.

Why are you asking? Having some issues?
Long story short, I'm putting in a Brake Light Kill Switch. I've cut and interrupted the WHT/DK GRN from switch pin 1, which kills the brake lights when the van is off. But the bottom 2 brake lights still function when the van is running. Before I cut the LT BLU/DK GRN from pin 4 and the DK GRN/WHT from pin 6, I'd like to know what exactly what they control. I know I'm probably going to have to end up interrupting the "shift from park" signal, but it will be on a switch and only "killed" after its started and driving.

--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
Long story short, I'm putting in a Brake Light Kill Switch. I've cut and interrupted the WHT/DK GRN from switch pin 1, which kills the brake lights when the van is off. But the bottom 2 brake lights still function when the van is running. Before I cut the LT BLU/DK GRN from pin 4 and the DK GRN/WHT from pin 6, I'd like to know what exactly what they control. I know I'm probably going to have to end up interrupting the "shift from park" signal, but it will be on a switch and only "killed" after its started and driving.
I already have a BL kill switch , it was done by someone else, so no idea how he did it. I know the brake switch have at least three independent circuits.

Are you a drug dealer?

Super Moderator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I already have a BL kill switch , it was done by someone else, so no idea how he did it. I know the brake switch have at least three independent circuits.

Are you a drug dealer?
Engineer. :LOL:

Don't laugh, but I'm going to oval track drive this van a few times and in previous racecars I like to put in a brake light kill switch as seeing someone's brake lights can give the guy behind you a slight advantage as to know when he should start braking.

Racevan. 馃弫

--UNKNOWN MEMBER--

Don't laugh, but I'm going to oval track drive this van a few times and in previous racecars I like to put in a brake light kill switch as seeing someone's brake lights can give the guy behind you a slight advantage as to know when he should start braking.

Racevan. 馃弫
It does make sense.

But, a minivan driving close to the border without brake lights will definitively be pulled over by Border Patrol, don't forget to flip that switch back.

What do you usually eat for breakfast? 馃ぃ

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It does make sense.

But, a minivan driving close to the border without brake lights will definitively be pulled over by Border Patrol, don't forget to flip that switch back.

What do you usually eat for breakfast? 馃ぃ
I'M IN FLORIDA, SO I'D BE BETTER OFF HAVING A FAST BOAT!!!!

Registered

Racevan. 馃弫

Registered
2019 DGCGT flex fuel, 15K miles.
Wouldn't you be better off with a brake lights "ON" button? So the guy behind you would think your braking when you're still flat out!
Sounds like a lot of fun though! As a Nascar fan, I've often wished they'd have a mini-van race after one of the practices in the weekend. They could use Fan owned mini-vans offered up from the crowd! I am sure the increased "gate" at each race would more than offset the cost of replacing most of the mini-vans they used...up.

Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
Just put the switch on the output for the lights, not the PCM circuit. That way you still have ABS and all that. If you don't care for that either and don't mind clearing codes after a race, unplug the sensor.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just put the switch on the output for the lights, not the PCM circuit. That way you still have ABS and all that. If you don't care for that either and don't mind clearing codes after a race, unplug the sensor.
From output pin 1? I did that. It only kills the brake lights with the van "off". When its running, the lower lights still work. Just no third brake light.
I'm trying to find a local double pole/single throw switch before cutting any more wires and straight up experimenting to see what works what.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts