The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 Town and Country is making a low humming noise as I increase speed, it gets louder as I accelerate. It seems to be running smoothly and it's on all types of roads. When it first started I thought it was the muffler going but it seems to be more focused towards the front of the vehicle and isn't loud while idle or stopped.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
If it disappears when not moving, it could be a wheel bearing.

·
Super Moderator
24,182 Posts
Worn tires can give a hum as they become harder as they wear.

Winter tires can give a hum.

To eliminate the engine and exhaust, what's the noise like when coasting in neutral?

Some pavements are noisy as well or, at least, the tires are noisier on some pavements, especially concrete and old asphalt. New asphalt pavement is quieter. Drive to the sides on old asphalt pavement to see if the sound changes.

Wheel bearing noise tends to be off the hum scale and changes as you corner. Each wheel nearing has an inner and outer race. Testing, with wheels off the ground, may be required.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a similar thing going on, as it sounds like it's from the back. I was given the van from my dad, who no longer drives. 2010 t&c w/ 51k. I will try a tire rotation to see if the noise changes at all. One day it was a squeaky, squealing noise when the Mrs. was driving it, which went away only when she stepped on the brakes. This happened for about 30 minutes. I haven't been able to duplicate that noise since.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts