The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Town & Country. My key remote stopped working a couple weeks ago. I've replaced the battery TWICE, but it still isn't working correctly. I can sometimes lock my doors with it, but it will not unlock or open the sliding doors. Any idea of what is wrong? Thanks in advance!!!

Sincerely,
Mom of Two Boys
#firstworldproblems
#butthisisfrustrating i just want my doors to unlock with the remote :'-(

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had similar issues with the 2013 T&C key fob that I carry with me (always in my pocket and subject to lots of dust and dirt when I'm doing various tasks). My wife's key fob (carried in her purse) has never had any issues, so I assume it is somewhat related to environment. In any case, I have had success (a couple of times now) by cleaning the contacts on the circuit board (opposite side of the battery contacts on the circuit board). You need to pull the circuit board away from the rubber cover (the cover has the "buttons" for the various functions on the front side). Once you have the cover removed from the circuit board, you can clean all the circuit board contacts (I have used alcohol with some success) and also clean the mating contacts on the underside of the rubber cover. The most recent time I did this cleaning, I ended up doing a very light "scraping" of the contacts on the circuit board after the alcohol cleaning.

After the cleaning, you place the rubber cover back over the contact side of the circuit board and squeeze the two halves of the fob back together and give it a try. It has worked for me.

Good luck,
Dave

·
Registered
536 Posts
Are you still under warranty? If you have MaxCare I believe the key fob on the '13 model is covered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This worked!!! Thank you so much, Dave!!! There was some kind of black build up on the circuit board. We got it all cleaned up and the key fob works again!

Thank you so much! You've saved my keys!!! :)

:)

I have had similar issues with the 2013 T&C key fob that I carry with me (always in my pocket and subject to lots of dust and dirt when I'm doing various tasks). My wife's key fob (carried in her purse) has never had any issues, so I assume it is somewhat related to environment. In any case, I have had success (a couple of times now) by cleaning the contacts on the circuit board (opposite side of the battery contacts on the circuit board). You need to pull the circuit board away from the rubber cover (the cover has the "buttons" for the various functions on the front side). Once you have the cover removed from the circuit board, you can clean all the circuit board contacts (I have used alcohol with some success) and also clean the mating contacts on the underside of the rubber cover. The most recent time I did this cleaning, I ended up doing a very light "scraping" of the contacts on the circuit board after the alcohol cleaning.

After the cleaning, you place the rubber cover back over the contact side of the circuit board and squeeze the two halves of the fob back together and give it a try. It has worked for me.

Good luck,
Dave

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just did the same with the FOB on my 2014. The FOB itself is in great shape but it would strangely just refuse to lock or unlock from time to time. Seemed to be getting progressively worse.

I opened it up and removed the PCB from the rubber key cover. Using some electrical contact cleaner I just cleaned the button contacts on the PCB and the mating carbon coated underside of the buttons themselves. Just dampen the end of a Q tip with the contact cleaner and wipe gently a few times. Don't spray the cleaner directly on the FOB PCB or the rubber key overlay. Definitely don't scrape it or use anything abrasive. That is a big no-no on the plated PCB surfaces and especially the rubber key overlay.

Electrical contact cleaner is best but Alcohol is probably OK too. Alcohol tends to carry a little water so make sure you let it really air dry well before reassembly if you go that route.

So far so good. It seems to have made the FOB 100% reliable. I was wondering about getting it replaced on a 2014. Sept delivery and still under 36K miles. Will have to investigate, but now that I fixed it, I suspect have missed that opportunity :(

My second FOB sits in a drawer and is fine.

Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
This saved me a ton of frustration and saved my key fob. My door locks kept randomly locking when driving or whenever I was holding the key fob. First I disabled the autolock feature which made no difference. Next I took the key fob apart as described above. Not only did I clean the circuit board contacts as recommended (they were nasty). I also found two of the "mating contacts" on the rubber cover had come unstuck and were moving about inside the circuit board area. After cleaning everything I glued the contacts in place and it works like new. Also replaced the 8 year old battery for good measure.

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts