The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 TC. After being parked for 4-5 days, I started vehicle, put it in drive, foot off the brake and it didn’t move. The emergency was not on. while parked. Give it a little gas, still didnt move? Gave it more gas and a quite loud bang or clunk happened and the van lurched forward. I wondered if the brakes or just rear brakes had locked on somehow? This is the second time. It does not happen if parked less than 1-2 days. Anyone have any ideas. We just bought thing with 147K km on it and have used it maybe once a week since March15.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Is transmission shift delayed? It almost sounds like it...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I will make note of that. I am testing this week to see if it happens if I try to go in reverse first; after being parked awhile.

·
Registered
41 Posts
2014 T&C here - used to relocate from DC to the Emerald Coast a couple years ago, new house has rather steep nose-down from street - ~5-7 degrees. Noticed "jerk" when backing uphill out of drive that never happened before. Occurred to me the vehicle had never been parked nose-down and backed uphill in its life. Checked manual and found that there is a "park assist" that holds the position after the emergency brake is removed until shifting from park. Nice to have, keeps from rolling forward/back until gas is applied. Anyway, the moment of angst has turned into pleasure that the feature is there - even if occasionally it does complain with a very mild jerk/bang when the pedals are not manipulated to its' satisfaction.

Side note - bought a new Cherokee Overland and found the same feature - in this case a necessity as the new vehicles have eliminated the manual parking brake pedal/lever. All electric and releases when seat belts are set, transmission is moved from park and accelerator is applied. Not a fan of "no lever" but glad to have the assist.

In summary, if the noise is your only issue, and it's infrequent and no other problems are manifest, you're probably OK. We've been here for some time, with no issues so "Let not your heart be troubled."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, very interesting. I will check that out today. The manual reading part. Thankyou very much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well could not find any such written feature in manual so will try setting e brake then put in park. It gets parked in my garage so the tiny slope Of concrete is 2” in 24’. Maybe just enough to cause this issue?

·
Super Moderator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
1,957 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:unsure: Well I will check and study all above clues. Hey guys, I appreciate all your help. I have a feeling there is no HSA on this one. Can. US. models are different maybe? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
There's a choice in the EVIC vehicle setup menu to enable/disable hill start assist, if you have it.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
559 Posts
Never had a bang from my brakes when I had hill start assist on. If that's what's causing it, you need to get your rear brakes checked.

I turned it off years ago because it made quick starts off an incline impossible. Where I lived you needed to be able to hit 25MPH within a second of pulling out to avoid being rear-ended by people driving too fast on the blind curves near the exit to my neighborhood.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts