The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Engine Noise

6K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  epeschel75 
#1 ·
So, I have a perplexing issue with our 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. The only way to explain it is that the engine kind of sounds like a diesel engine when it accelerates, with a whining type sound. The serpentine belt was removed and the engine run and there was no change in the noise. The timing belt/chain was replaced along with all the parts associated, except for the camshaft actuators. The noise got a little quieter after that repair, but it is still there. Mechanic used a stethoscope and the sound appears to be coming from the back of the engine towards the passenger side. The noise happens whether the car is in gear, neutral or park. We have now just had the transmission fluid flushed and changed. Thoughts?

#14 ·
Thank you everyone for the suggestion. We found the problem and the van is fixed. We did have an issue with the timing chain. However, it was discovered that after fixing the timing chain issue, the noise went away when the serpentine belt was off, where before it stayed. It was then discovered that the alternator was bad. So, changed the alternator and the van is quiet again!

#15 ·
Meh, now I feel dumb. I did 3 alternators last week for customers complaining of a whining noise... how did I not think of that. :p Glad you got it figured out.

#16 ·
Meh, now I feel dumb. I did 3 alternators last week for customers complaining of a whining noise... how did I not think of that. :p Glad you got it figured out.
Don't feel dumb. I originally posted that the noise happened with or without the serpentine belt. That would eliminate the alternator. It wasn't discovered until today that the sound now went away with the serpentine belt off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.