The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Oil light was coming on on dash. Replaced OEM sensor with Duralast ps 278. Now oil light comes on at idle ( around 1k RPM) and goes off when you accelerate. When engine comes back to idle, light comes on and you hear a chime. Do you think this is an indication of a failing oil pump? Should I have used Chrysler part? The van has 105k miles.

thanks,
Paul

·
Super Moderator
24,417 Posts
Hello,

Oil light was coming on on dash. Replaced OEM sensor with Duralast ps 278. Now oil light comes on at idle ( around 1k RPM) and goes off when you accelerate. When engine comes back to idle, light comes on and you hear a chime. Do you think this is an indication of a failing oil pump? Should I have used Chrysler part? The van has 105k miles.

thanks,
Paul
Check to see if your new sensor is leaking. Did this problem reoccur right after replacement or was it cured for awhile. I had a Standard Motors oil pressure sensor last less than a year. Gave them an F.

For sensors, I tend to go for Mopar.

Not many miles on the vehicle. Oil pump failing .... not likely ...... but.

What oil and filter are you using? How many miles on the oil? What viscosity rating?

Causes of Low Oil Pressure in Engines

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler Town and Country Touring
371 Posts
I used to have a 1983 Ford E-150. It started doing the same thing. One day I stopped at a traffic light, and the low oil light came on. I had the oil checked and it was fine. The light only came on the one time.

The next day the light came on while I was going 40mph, and then a second later the engine blew up.

·
Super Moderator
24,417 Posts
I used to have a 1983 Ford E-150. It started doing the same thing. One day I stopped at a traffic light, and the low oil light came on. I had the oil checked and it was fine. The light only came on the one time.

The next day the light came on while I was going 40mph, and then a second later the engine blew up.
What do you expect from a FORD (Fix Or Repair Daily)? I swore off FORDs many years back. A FORD model with the name of a "painted" horse did them in. :)
Surprised that they haven't resurrected that name. Well then, haven't seen the Edsel name for a while either. :)

To the OP: Has any work been done on the oil pan? oil pickup tube? crap in the oil pan? How does the oil on the dipstick look?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Actually that van was 21 years old and had over 200,000 miles on it when the engine let go. No complaints here.

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
252 Posts
How many miles on the vehicle ? Excessive rod & main bearing clearance will cause low oil pressure light will come on .

·
Registered
371 Posts
I currently have a 1985 Ford E150 with about 150,000(?) miles on it which still runs great. The air conditioning gave up the ghost this year and is on my to fix list.

I also have a 1986 Dodge Caravan LE with 105,000 miles on it. It needs parts I can no longer find but it runs and drives great.

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
252 Posts
Oh I see 105 not really enough miles to worry about excessive wear . What type of oil and filter do you use ?

I noticed that when I use anyother filter than a mopar when I start vehicle when cold I get a momentary valve chatter .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check to see if your new sensor is leaking. Did this problem reoccur right after replacement or was it cured for awhile. I had a Standard Motors oil pressure sensor last less than a year. Gave them an F.

For sensors, I tend to go for Mopar.

Not many miles on the vehicle. Oil pump failing .... not likely ...... but.

What oil and filter are you using? How many miles on the oil? What viscosity rating?

Causes of Low Oil Pressure in Engines
I've been using Mobil1 10w-30 synthetic since the vehicle was new

Going to switch sensor to Mopar

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,086 Posts
I've been using Mobil1 10w-30 synthetic since the vehicle was new

Going to switch sensor to Mopar

Some people here swear that particular oil is not certified for your vehicle.

Don't worry, that's all I use in all my vehicles, pulling trailers and stuff, not a single problem after thousands of miles.

I would recommend to change your oil first and see if low oil pressure problem goes away. If it goes away only to return days later, you might have a leaky injector.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts