The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Registered
7 quarts is too much; almost as if someone checked the fluid level with the motor not running and added fluid when not needed. I would not put 7 quarts back in without being able to measure the level after putting 5 qts in.

There is a youtube video that shows how to use the oil dipstick and mark it for use for measuring the trans fluid level. Not too difficult as long as you pay attention to the trans fluid temperature.

Registered
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I have my engine oil dipstick marked (on the blank side for trans level) at 5mm for running cold and 15mm at temperature. Sound right?馃

Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
I got a little under 7 when I did mine the first time. Closer to 6.5. Best to add the 5.5 and then cycle gears and check against the temperature chart. One time mine took a whole 8 to get to the right level. I always go just a couple mmm higher on the stock than what the chart says. Better to be over a hair then under.

Reactions: Wheelman_60

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
Update:
I replaced all 3 speed sensors in the transmission and with what I believe to be a proper fluid level, I have better shifting. Thanks for all the help!

Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
Update:
I replaced all 3 speed sensors in the transmission and with what I believe to be a proper fluid level, I have better shifting. Thanks for all the help!
Interesting. Did you adjust the fluid before doing the sensors? Did the old ones have a lot of grey gunk on them?

Glad you got it doing right.

Reactions: Wheelman_60

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
Interesting. Did you adjust the fluid before doing the sensors? Did the old ones have a lot of grey gunk on them?

Glad you got it doing right.
Adjust the fluid? When I pulled the transfer sensor there was a wee bit of fluid escape. Should there have been more?
The output sensor didn't go without a fight. A lot of corrosive buildup.
There was an amount of metallic dust/slime on the ends of the sensors. Glad I did this.
20210110_231255.jpg

Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
Not much comes out when changing those sensors. Was asking to see if it may have been just a low fluid issue and the sensors weren't required. But seems you just did the sensors and topped it off, meaning they likely were the issue.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts