The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 T&C lost reverse. When I pulled fuse M28 the check engine light went off after plugging back in. When starting the van normally ill have all gears. Within 20-30 I'll loose reverse. Fluid is full. No leaks, at least nothing on the garage floor. Afraid to drive to get code checked, the nearest auto part store is 20 min away. Don't want to lose all gears in route. Lots of posts point towards solonoid. But I've read others say just to change fluid and filter. I don't feel its that simple but maybe I'm wrong. 172k on the van. No issues until recently.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My 2010 T&C lost reverse. When I pulled fuse M28 the check engine light went off after plugging back in. When starting the van normally ill have all gears. Within 20-30 I'll loose reverse. Fluid is full. No leaks, at least nothing on the garage floor. Afraid to drive to get code checked, the nearest auto part store is 20 min away. Don't want to lose all gears in route. Lots of posts point towards solonoid. But I've read others say just to change fluid and filter. I don't feel its that simple but maybe I'm wrong. 172k on the van. No issues until recently.
Forgot, reverse worked after pulling the fuse. Haven't driven out of garage but was able to go back about 10 feet then pulled back in.

·
fix it if you can
5,303 Posts
Welcome aboard,
you're asking your question in 4th gen forum, but your van is 5th gen - maybe a moderator can help you out and move the post to correct forum.

Your van should have a 62TE transmission, replies you get here would assume you're asking about 41TE.

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
514 Posts
You need an overhaul . That's the long and the short of it .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just returned from attempting to get the cel code. Had to stop 2 times and pull the fuse, after pulling i have all gears again. By the time I got to Autozone the light was off and couldn't pull the code. The guy there suggested speed sensor. Would something that simple really cause this issue?

·
Super Moderator
25,849 Posts
How did you check your transmission fluid level?

Any work been done on the transmission recently?

Something interesting here:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Through the dipstick, I found a hack online to use the oil dipstick since there's not one for the trans.

·
Super Moderator
25,849 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How did you check your transmission fluid level?

Any work been done on the transmission recently?

Something interesting here:
I just had the same thing happen. I was going to replace the solonoid, I pulled the pack off and still didn't have reverse, just drive.

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
514 Posts
The first thing to go is reverse when the transmission is 0n it's way south

·
3rd gen > all others
3,139 Posts
^^Yeah bit it should slip first, not just totally be gone and be able to reset with a fuse. This problem is electrical, not mechanical.

Reactions: Jeepman

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^Yeah bit it should slip first, not just totally be gone and be able to reset with a fuse. This problem is electrical, not mechanical.
Thats what I thought, there's never been any slipping/grinding. I'm just not sure where to start with no codes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This has been a commonly under-diagnosed electrical issue with these minivans I believe. I had a very similar issue with my 2009 Chrysler T&C back in 2017 and was told I had to replace my transmission entirely to get rid of the problem. I didn't have the time to do proper research on my own so I just went with what the dealer told me to get. However, I will say, they steered me in the right direction because they ended up replacing my transmission with a "remanufactured transmission" and apparently when a transmission is remanufactured they also fix all the commonly known problems from the factory as well as getting it up to factory spec. Needless to say, I haven't had any problems since. Here is the article my mechanic pointed me too for that info: My Transmission

If you get the problem fixed without replacing it please let me know as I'm still interested in that info.

Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gave up and had the van towed to the Mechanic. They didn't give me any codes but said need a new trans. I'm waiting on the price. Will report back when I get it. Still worried there's something electric that they're overlooking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmmm, so the fuse gets pulled. Reverse works. 20-30 mins, and after its hot, it doesn't do reverse anymore.
When shifting to reverse, is there any physical resistance to moving the shifter? Actually that probably doesn't matter, these are electronic shifters, right? Or not yet.

Hmmm, how hard is it to drop the pan and check on the solenoids? Might as well do a filter if you're going to go this route. :)

I dunno, just thinking out loud.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts