The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m new to the forum. I’ve had a 2008 town and country touring for about 6-7 years now. I’m pretty sure that these vans make a distinct exhaust sound to begin with but I’ve noticed over the past few weeks that the exhaust is really loud. The exhaust is especially loud on a cold start (like after sitting overnight). Once the car warms up the noise goes down a little but it’s still quite loud, my guess it that once the rpm lowers so does the sound. About the rpm, it’s around 1500 when I start it up after it sits overnight and it settles to around 700-800 once it warms up. I haven’t gotten it checked out and I haven’t looked at it from underneath yet but I wanted to ask if anyone else has the same problem and what the problem is. I’m pretty sure it’s exhaust related like the muffler or the exhaust pipe but I just want some suggestions on what it could be. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
24,182 Posts
Flex pipe or muffler, most likely. Best check out the exhaust.

Reactions: Mtfix20

·
5000 Club
5,721 Posts
Quick check? Put a glove on and with the motor running put your hand over the exhaust opening. This will increase back pressure forcing exhaust out the suspected leak point and increase the noise. May be able to determine where the leak is. A second set of ears will help.Yes, if you hold it there long enough the engine may die.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts