The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a heat shield attached to the right rear of the van floor, that sits above the tailpipe and resonator, which has corroded off it's attaching bolts with no hope of reattaching. How necessary is this piece as I have removed it since it was just rattling around sitting on top of the tailpipe. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,057 Posts
It is very necessary, it prevents heat from the exhaust lines to reach your vehicle's floor.

·
Vendor
1,497 Posts
I agree that you need to replace it. Chrysler would reduce the cost of production and not put it there if it wasn’t useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,012 Posts
Hey guys,

I have a heat shield attached to the right rear of the van floor, that sits above the tailpipe and resonator, which has corroded off it's attaching bolts with no hope of reattaching. How necessary is this piece as I have removed it since it was just rattling around sitting on top of the tailpipe. Thanks for any thoughts on this.
I have reattached heat shields using large aluminum "washers" made out of thin aluminum sheetmetal. The last time I did it I used an old licence plate to make the washers.

·
Super Moderator
24,373 Posts
Here, they get thrown away. Pretty flimsy construction out of the box. Doesn't come up as an issue in safety inspections.

Metal bottle caps or insulation washers work for refastening.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have had this happen before to the heat shield, and I had reattached it to the attaching floor studs using larger washers to capture the corroded and enlarged holes of the heat shield. But this time, not only have the holes corroded even larger, but also the attaching studs that were tacked onto the floor have rusted off and now I have nothing to attach the shield to anyway. If I were to entertain the thought of reattachment, does anyone have any ideas on how I might do that, short of welding some studs back on (I wouldn't do that as the area where the studs would be tacked on to is a bit rusty and I don't have a torch so taking it to a garage would cost a pretty penny around here). Thanks for the comments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts