The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The struts are so strong that it takes all my weight (190#) to close Gate. It will not close automatically. If I hang on the gate and hit the button it will close automatically.
Could the struts be too strong? I haven't had the van long, and the struts look new. How strong should the struts be?

·
fix it if you can
5,037 Posts
Those same struts will likely be fine when weather cools - the gas charge is temperature sensitive...
You can try getting another strut set, or at least look up the part number on the ones installed to make sure they match (are applicable) for the van.

·
Registered
825 Posts
back when all that stuff on my van actually worked and the tailgate would hold itself up, i could close and open it with one arm

see if you can find out what brand the struts are and look up reviews about them on amazon or ebay

·
3rd gen > all others
2,765 Posts
Add some big rear speakers to the middle of the rear panel, and the struts should be just right LOL.

Reactions: Baron

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think a previous owner put the wrong struts on. My '05 power liftgate shuts easily with one hand pulling down. In your shoes, I would go to my local self-serve auto wrecker for replacement struts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought my 2001 Town & Country new...Lately problems occurred: Driver slide door lock button stopped working and to be manually lifted up and down (need new door lock actuater?),

Rear gate seems to struggle with locking and unlocking noise to lift but will not lift and needs to be manually lifted (need new gate shocks?),

Dash light on (Garage said left wheel bearing sensor needs replacing which involves removing things to access the sensor...Sensible way to do it?)

Any thoughts would be appreciated before I get it fixed. Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your idea, I will try that. I am sure that the struts are far too strong. Baroldo in Florida.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts