The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 Dodge Grand caravan 3.3l Flex Fuel that while running or turned off will push coolant out the over flow, thought it was just over full but I'm starting to think it's more than that or just a air bubble I have turned heaters on full blast and let it run, and it seams to be only when its stopped or turned off far as I can tell. Please help it's my only van for my family of 4 soon to be family of 5 .

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,439 Posts
Welcome.

Two possibilities here.

First:

Bad thermostat.

Replace thermostat.

Second:

Blown head gasket.

Not the easiest or the cheapest one. Check thermostat first.

With a cold engine, remove radiator cap, start engine. Add coolant all the way to the top.

Look inside the radiator, if you see large quantity of bubbles coming up, you have a blown head gasket

Third possibility but not very likely, clogged radiator.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome.

Two possibilities here.

First:

Bad thermostat.

Replace thermostat.

Second:

Blown head gasket.

Not the easiest or the cheapest one. Check thermostat first.

With a cold engine, remove radiator cap, start engine. Add coolant all the way to the top.

Look inside the radiator, if you see large quantity of bubbles coming up, you have a blown head gasket

Third possibility but not very likely, clogged radiator.

Good luck.
Thank you very much I will check these out. And update my post.

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
1,924 Posts
How about a bad radiator cap?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Good luck, and WELCOME!

Hopefully it is just a Radiator cap, good call Buff.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didnt get any buble except when i added the coolant, it stopped and i checked the oil and it looks like i need a oil change badly but did NOT look like coffee with cream or frothy. thank you all for being willing to help us out, Note this is the first time i took my radiator cap off and now it seams for now to have stopped i will check again tomorrow and post again

·
3rd gen > all others
2,890 Posts
Pressure test the cooling system and see if it holds pressure. If it slowly leaks down, there is a leak somewhere. Coolant that isn't under pressure will boil and overheat sooner (just like a bad radiator cap).

I had a 92 Chevy Corsica with the 3.1 V6 that did the same thing. Lower radiator hose and thermostat were replaced, no change. Finally someone pointed out to me (when I was trying to sell the car) that there was a coolant hose under the throttle body leaking coolant. They passed on the car, I replaced the two little hoses under the throttle body, and that fixed the problem. It was only leaking by dripping, and was close enough to the exhaust that it was evaporating. So just a tiny leak like that can cause the parked overheat condition.

There are steel coolant lines running around the engine, and on the firewall/under the passenger floor if you have rear heat. They can rust and develop pinhole leaks.

·
Registered
07 Grand Caravan (3.3L), 14 Dart SXT (2.0L)
169 Posts
I would highly recommend renting a pressure tester from your auto parts store to check the system for leaks. When was the last time you changed the coolant? If you changed it recently it's possible "they" forgot to bleed the system or didn't bleed it good enough.

BUT the simplest and most inexpensive problem would be a broken rad cap, I would recommend you just go ahead and replace it and see if that fixes it.
How many miles on the van? If it's under 200k I wouldn't think its a head gasket although it's possible.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan C/V
128 Posts
Just because there is no coolant in the oil, doesn't mean the head gasket is good. I just recently fixed a Kia Rio that was pressurizing the cooling system, but the oil was perfectly clean.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,439 Posts
I didnt get any buble except when i added the coolant, it stopped and i checked the oil and it looks like i need a oil change badly but did NOT look like coffee with cream or frothy. thank you all for being willing to help us out, Note this is the first time i took my radiator cap off and now it seams for now to have stopped i will check again tomorrow and post again
Maybe it was just low in coolant. Always check coolant level in the radiator.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just because there is no coolant in the oil, doesn't mean the head gasket is good. I just recently fixed a Kia Rio that was pressurizing the cooling system, but the oil was perfectly clean.
But the coolant is still lime green, Prev. owner was a dealership and that's what it came with, i plan to flush and change as soon as i can and put in the proper orange dexcool that is recommended, also far as i can tell its not burning coolant it just was pucking it out thru the overflow in the reservoir.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chrysler orange coolant is NOT DexCool. :rolleyes:
I looked it up on a dealership site and that is what it tells you to get and I Google it and it also brought up dexcool. I will look into it more probably won't get done for a bit as I dont have the money for that much coolent.

·
Super Moderator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,048 Posts
I looked it up on a dealership site and that is what it tells you to get and I Google it and it also brought up dexcool. I will look into it more probably won't get done for a bit as I dont have the money for that much coolent.
Your 2003 came from the factory with HOAT coolant (definitely not Dex-Cool which is OAT), you can use ZEREX G-05 which meets the Chrysler spec.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My first though is an overfilled coolant expansion tank. Look for the full cold mark, use a black marker to make it easier to see, then keep an eye on that level. And, yes, replace all your green coolant with HOAT coolant, like Zerex G-05.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan C/V
128 Posts
But the coolant is still lime green, Prev. owner was a dealership and that's what it came with, i plan to flush and change as soon as i can and put in the proper orange dexcool that is recommended, also far as i can tell its not burning coolant it just was pucking it out thru the overflow in the reservoir.
Coolant color has squat to do with the possibility of a blown head gasket that is pumping compression into the cooling system.:rolleyes: The Kia I fixed wasn't burning coolant / steaming out the exhaust. It was only putting pressure into the cooling system (at first that is).

And as others have said, it doesn't take Dexclog.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay I did see that I was incorrect about the coolant, how should i test the crank pressure venting into the coolent system?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Checking for exhaust gas in the coolant system requires a tool or kit with a reactive chemical indicator. Not many of us have access to that kit nor am I aware of the kit at AutoZone, Loan a Tool program.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,890 Posts
I'd do the hand-pump pressurizing kit test first to the cooling system, with a pressure gauge to watch for loss of pressure. That should make you aware of ANY leak. Most common leak is the lower intake manifold gaskets, not the head gasket on these vans.

Dexclog! LOL So true! Do NOT use that crap. It will clog your cooling system up, and the only way to clean it out of the block is a complete engine removal and teardown, and hot-tanking the block. Many a GM car has been junked because of that crap, and there has been a class-action lawsuit over it. Zerex G-05 all the way! Even the Corvette owners use it.

Green coolant is okay, but it has to be drained/flushed/replaced every other year.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So as of tonight my leak has stopped, coolant is a little over full(not by much) and haven't had any leaks after taking the cap off my radiator and adding coolent. I'm keeping a close eye on it. And will keep updating this thread.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts