The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Are you using a DRBIII or other scan tool to put the Leak Detection Pump into the proper mode for testing along with providing a steady vacuum supply to the LDP? If not you're gonna have an inaccurate test result.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Are you using a DRBIII or other scan tool to put the Leak Detection Pump into the proper mode for testing along with providing a steady vacuum supply to the LDP? If not you're gonna have an inaccurate test result.
I dont have a DRBIII scanner but i do have a Mityvac vacuum hand pump.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
A DRBIII scanner is extremely expensive to purchase, is there another option or no?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I want to back up just a little bit first. I am assuming that you are attempting to diagnose a leak in the evaporative emissions system of your van. I can't think of another reason one would want to smoke test it otherwise but you never know. Are you trying to diagnose a leak due to a code?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I want to back up just a little bit first. I am assuming that you are attempting to diagnose a leak in the evaporative emissions system of your van. I can't think of another reason one would want to smoke test it otherwise but you never know. Are you trying to diagnose a leak due to a code?
Yes im trying to diagnose evap codes and other codes that showed up after the evap codes. I wanted to share this video i filmed so you can see the history and scan logs of this caravan.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The most recent log on your video is from last June. Which code or codes are you trying to diagnose now?
I haven't been able to turn on the van to see which codes are still remaining because the battery terminals on the van need to be replaced. All this time i have been doing several smoke tests with the van being off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I haven't been able to turn on the van to see which codes are still remaining because the battery terminals on the van need to be replaced. All this time i have been doing several smoke tests with the van being off.
Yeah that's not gonna work at least going by Chrysler procedures to test for evap leaks. A couple of the steps to prepare for the test straight from the manual:

Disconnect the vacuum supply hose at the Leak Detection Pump.
Connect and apply a continuous vacuum supply (i.e. 209Hg) to the Leak Detection
Pump. A vacuum pump such as an A/C recovery unit works well.
Using the DRBIIIt, select Engine/System Tests and actuate the Leak Detect Pump
Test (Option 3/Hold PSI).
NOTE: The above energizes the LDP solenoid and allows the constant
vacuum source to apply vacuum to the LDP pump diaphragm. This lifts the
diaphragm up and seals the atmospheric canister vent valve at the bottom
of the Leak Detection Pump.

In other words you need to make the LDP close off the vent to atmosphere. Otherwise you end up with smoke coming out of that filter you are trying to replace

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yeah that's not gonna work at least going by Chrysler procedures to test for evap leaks. A couple of the steps to prepare for the test straight from the manual:

Disconnect the vacuum supply hose at the Leak Detection Pump.
Connect and apply a continuous vacuum supply (i.e. 209Hg) to the Leak Detection
Pump. A vacuum pump such as an A/C recovery unit works well.
Using the DRBIIIt, select Engine/System Tests and actuate the Leak Detect Pump
Test (Option 3/Hold PSI).
NOTE: The above energizes the LDP solenoid and allows the constant
vacuum source to apply vacuum to the LDP pump diaphragm. This lifts the
diaphragm up and seals the atmospheric canister vent valve at the bottom
of the Leak Detection Pump.

In other words you need to make the LDP close off the vent to atmosphere. Otherwise you end up with smoke coming out of that filter you are trying to replace
Remember what i said i dont have a DRBIII scanner its extremely expensive to buy one today.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Remember what i said i dont have a DRBIII scanner its extremely expensive to buy one today.
I understand that. Most people don't have a DRBIII and neither do I. What I am trying to explain is that if you don't put the LDP into the proper status for testing you will end up with the result you got: smoke coming out of the filter during a smoke test.The filter is not your problem if you are chasing an evaporative leak. Evap system leaks can often be diagnosed during a visual inspection. Check all the rubber hoses in the system that you can access especially the various curved ones near the canister itself. They split all the time.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts