The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

2003 Dodge Caravan Engine Light

37K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  FabricGATOR 
#1 ·
The other day the engine light came on.. I did notice I was down a quart of oil, so I put one in. The engine light never went out.

I got the Manual out and theres a lot of reading in there. I did find the engine light is for Engine and transmission problems..

Anyone have any ideas as to what to look for, before I have to see a dealer.. man they sure cost a good buck..

I kind of figure some emission problem...this is a Canadian van..3.8 litre I believe.

Any ideas will be entertained..

Thanks Ron..

#2 ·
Can you do the "key dance" to bring up a code? Insert key, turn on, then off, then on, then off, then on again (without starting the vehicle each time). This should provide a code on your odometer. Report back here with that code, and we will tell you what it means.

Sometimes the system will burp/blip causing the engine light to illuminate. If the "problem" does not reoccur, the system will eventually distinguish the light (after a few driving cycles). As long as the engine light is not blinking, it most likely is not serious - and maybe nothing at all.

#5 ·
P0456 = EVAC LEAK MONITOR .020 LEAK DETECTED

Possible Causes: Evaporative Emission System Leak, Evaporative Emission Leak Detection, Evap Purge Solenoid Leak/Stuck Open, or Intermittent LDP Monitor Failure.

#11 ·
Well I'll do all these checks and see what happens.. As long as its not going to stop in the middle of I-96 on me. I'll be ok, till I find a Dodge Dealership..

Thanks for all the help.. I'll let you know how I make out..

Ron..

#15 ·
My check engine light came on. I did the key dance and got 2 codes p1684 and p0700 can someone please help me find out what that is thank you in advance
Google the code and DODGE GRAND CARAVAN and you will find the mystical meaning of the codes.

But if you read the entire Topic, you would see that P1684 is "Battery Recently Disconnected" .

P0700 is a tranny code (I'm SUCH a tease...)

#17 ·
I have a 2003 dodge caravan as well the engine light has been on for over a year! I have spent almost $700 between 2 mechanics, trying to fix it so it can pass emmissions. It is not the gas cap, they tell me it is a very small evap leak but cannot find it my van runs fine, but this light and "ping" reminds me of lost money and the worry of not passing inspection b/c of this stupid thing..... any ideas from you guys??
Thanks, Susan

#18 ·
#24 ·
with the vehicle off and at a stop, rotate the key from off to run 3 times quickly, stopping on run the third time and the odometer will read out all stored codes on the vehicle

have something ready to record it, it goes through them too fast to write down

Reactions: Carbuff2
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.