The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

2000 Jeep GC Laredo A/C problems

Tags
a/c jeep
9K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  pgagator 
#1 ·
My 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with a single climate control is stuck only blowing out the defrost vent onto the windshield and won't switch to any other vents even though the dial turns. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
#7 ·
Under the hood on the intake manifold there are a couple of small nipples that feed vacuum to I think cruise and the HVAC. If you find one fell off try and get a new piece of hose for the end of it. Usually they won't stay on. I'll go look for a pic.

#6 ·
Fault codes: http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes.html

Use the "key dance"
That said, many Chrysler cars, vans, and trucks will show you codes without any readers.
•Codes are displayed on the odometer.
•On some cars, the codes will read out if the engine light is on - all you have to do is put the key into the RUN position.
•Normally, to get codes, you put the key on OFF and then rapidly do OFF-ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON (on some cars you have to do four or five, not three, OFF-ON cycles). On our test 2002 car, the key did not go back to unlock, so it was ACC-ON-ACC-ON-ACC-ON. You may have to set the parking brake first (Thanks, Steven Midway)
•1998-2002 (maybe more) Dodge trucks and Jeeps, put transmission in neutral, parking brake on, then do the acc-run key sequence 3 times ending with RUN.

#8 ·
It is a vacuum problem for sure on older ones. Run the car for a minute then turn it off and quickly turn the adjuster dial. You should hear some "wooshing" sounds from the dash. If not, time to start tracking hoses.

#9 ·
Sure enough one of those three nipples (looks a little like a grease fitting) had the rubber hose that had fallen off (the back one closest to the firewall) and when I replaced it the problem was fixed.

My question now is what is the nipple closest to the front for, because it does not have a hose attached to it and I don't see one hanging loose anywhere?

Thanks so much!

#11 ·
To answer your questions: there is no rubber cap on that front one, nor do I see any loose or hanging line of any kind, and yes I have cruise control.

The main reason I'm wondering is to try and determine if this might be related to my other A/C problem where it doesn't always blow cold when I start it, but sometimes will misteriously start blowing cold after driving foe 20 to 60 minutes. It also did this crazy and speratic thing last fall, but then was fine this past summer. Not sure if its electrical, vacuum pressure, or malfunctioning part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.