The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

2.2 engine noise

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mmahamm 
#1 ·
OK its an old caravan! An 86 with a 2.2 mileage unknown. Its making a knocking noise that to me sounds like loose rod bearings. I see that people are saying that this engine is prone to pistons slap or wrist pins. If that is or was the case why didn't Chrysler fix the problem in production. Most engines don't incounter this problem. Anyway I just bought a set of new rod bearings for 25 bucks and plan on installing them tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. P.S. I drive it daily and it has no guage just a oil light that doesn't come on.

#2 ·
I hope I caught you in time. Unless it is a bad knock, do not work on it. Of course with not being there, I can't say for sure that nothing is wrong with it. I know many (and I have had one myself) 2.2L Chrysler engines that run for years and hundred of thousands of miles with the low distinct knock, and have not self destructed. Yes, it is common on that engine. No, not all of them do it but the ones I know of have no problems at all. It is entirely up to you, but I would find someone you trust who is very familiar with those engines and have them check it out.

#3 ·
kevin 8586 said:
OK its an old caravan! An 86 with a 2.2 mileage unknown. Its making a knocking noise that to me sounds like loose rod bearings. I see that people are saying that this engine is prone to pistons slap or wrist pins. If that is or was the case why didn't Chrysler fix the problem in production. Most engines don't incounter this problem. Anyway I just bought a set of new rod bearings for 25 bucks and plan on installing them tomorrow.
First, I'd not blame Chrysler for the issue. As you say, the mileage is unknown at best, very high at worst, and you probably don't know the entire service history of the vehicle. It could very easily have been run dry in the past, or overheated, or been put through any number of extreme conditions.

Second, I'd whole-heartedly agree with DSMLVR NOT to touch anything. You'd likely do more harm than good right now. As you state, you don't know what the problem is, so don't just start throwing parts at it at this point. If the noise really bothers you, fine...just properly diagnose it first.

DSMLVR stated that this may be a "common" issue for those engines. I don't know if this is related, but many of the Cadillac 4.1/4.5/4.9 OHV V-8 engines from the 1980s and early 1990s exhibit what we call the "#1 bearing thud". When at idle, you can hear a dull knocking sound from the engine. The problem has been traced to extreme upward tension on the crankshaft (due to the belt tension), and over time, this wears the bearing. In that case (of the Cadillacs), one can carefully loosen the tension on the serpentine belt while the engine is running and (usually) hear the noise stop. This indicates the problem as the #1 bearing thud, but bearing replacement is NOT needed. Tearing that far into the engine will introduce unnecessary problems.

I'd think the same for your situation. The problem will likely not get worse, or do any further damage. If you want to take the engine out anyway and do a full rebuild, fine. But I certainly wouldn't throw parts at it here and there, especially if you need to use this vehicle on a daily basis.

#4 ·
Done !

OK I installed the rod bearings and test drove it and No Noise! You can't hardly tell it's running. Oil, filter, pan gasket and rod bearings for around fifty bucks. Rod bearings are usually the last part of the lower engine to recieve oil.. And usually it's the one farthess from the oil pump that goes first. Changing the oil filter without priming the filter " Filling it up with oil before installing" and just hundreds of start ups eventually wears the bearings some. When I pulled the pan down I could take my hand and rattle the no. one rod on the crank.. The other three were loose but not as bad as no. one was. And while I had it up on stands I changed the lower ball joints, bake rotors and calipers. Thats why it took me soo long plus I like to clean up everything underneath. Before I changed the bearings I would kick it off fast idle due to the noise and while driving it I would let off the gas pedal to let the trany shift gears to lower the RPMs. This motor WAS noisy!

#6 ·
You can't hardly tell it's running.
I cannot believe that!

My dad and I both had 2.2 engines, and you couldn't get them to stop shaking. Maybe you have gotten it to quiet down, but is it truly idling smoothly?

I also had the 2.5 engine in my 88 Caravan. The 2.5 is basically a larger version of the 2.2, but with balance shafts added and fuel injection. If you told me it was a 2.5 that was idling smoothly, I might believe you, but a 2.2? No way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.