The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cruise control started dropping out a couple of months ago. Now, as soon as you push the on/off cc switch, it flashes on, on the dash, then goes out. I did some research on this site, and the servo seems to be the most frequent problem. So, I replaced it yesterday, and the cc is still not working. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
160 Posts
The cruise control started dropping out a couple of months ago. Now, as soon as you push the on/off cc switch, it flashes on, on the dash, then goes out. I did some research on this site, and the servo seems to be the most frequent problem. So, I replaced it yesterday, and the cc is still not working. Any thoughts?
Does the horn work ,is the air bag light on?

Mike S Grand caravan 3.3

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,948 Posts
Check brake switch. When you hit the brake pedal the CC disengages. If brake switch is acting up, it will disable CC.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The horn works, the brake lights come on when you depress the brake petal, and the air bag light has been on ever since I bought the van. CC worked until just recently.
I believe what Mike is alluding to is that there is a 'clock spring' wiring harness inside the steering wheel that connects those buttons on the steering wheel but still allows us to move the wheel. The 'clock spring' depending on the vehicle trim level and accessories/options also supply wiring to the airbag, horn, cruise control, radio controls on steering wheel, etc

Perhaps your cruise control fault is associated to your airbag light and it is the clock spring...

Now, don't just go out and start replacing it just yet. You should perform some more tests to determine for sure if it is in fact the clock spring fault.

I'm not for sure, but I bet there is a connector in the steering column and a way to test continuity through that connector to determine if the cruise control wiring is an 'open fault'

** caution, remember there is an explosive device in your steering wheel, A) keep yourself and other from being directly in line with the horn pad at all times when working on the steering wheel. B) be aware that applying an electrical charge, perhaps even a static charge to that airbag, may cause it to deploy.

Hopefully someone here can advise how to safely test and replace this if warranted.

Good news is that perhaps you are going to fix your airbag safety system at the same time!

Please let me know what becomes of this repair, even if you take it to the dealer or a local repair shop, but most people can do the test and replacement with regular tools....

Cheers!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I believe what Mike is alluding to is that there is a 'clock spring' wiring harness inside the steering wheel that connects those buttons on the steering wheel but still allows us to move the wheel. The 'clock spring' depending on the vehicle trim level and accessories/options also supply wiring to the airbag, horn, cruise control, radio controls on steering wheel, etc

Perhaps your cruise control fault is associated to your airbag light and it is the clock spring...

Now, don't just go out and start replacing it just yet. You should perform some more tests to determine for sure if it is in fact the clock spring fault.

I'm not for sure, but I bet there is a connector in the steering column and a way to test continuity through that connector to determine if the cruise control wiring is an 'open fault'

** caution, remember there is an explosive device in your steering wheel, A) keep yourself and other from being directly in line with the horn pad at all times when working on the steering wheel. B) be aware that applying an electrical charge, perhaps even a static charge to that airbag, may cause it to deploy.

Hopefully someone here can advise how to safely test and replace this if warranted.

Good news is that perhaps you are going to fix your airbag safety system at the same time!

Please let me know what becomes of this repair, even if you take it to the dealer or a local repair shop, but most people can do the test and replacement with regular tools....

Cheers!
Yes I was thinking clockspring I had a gen 3 Plymouth Voyager and it had a recall for the clock spring, no horn, no cruise, airbag light, also had a 01 gc same thing clock spring.

Mike S Grand caravan 3.3

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Don't be too afraid of the air bag ....
I always respect the airbag:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The horn works, the brake lights come on when you depress the brake petal, and the air bag light has been on ever since I bought the van. CC worked until just recently.
Did the CC just suddenly stop working or was there some 'event' that may be associated with it, that you noticed?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Well if you have an extra $80 laying around and the tools, maybe changing it might work.
Myself, I'd try to confirm it was bad before I came off the better part of a hun.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It kinda gradually stopped working. At first when I had the trouble, I could fiddle with it and get it going. Then eventually, it would not work at all. Push the on/off button, light would briefly flash on the dash, then right off.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I does sound like you are describing an intermittent connection, so that, and your airbag light, leads me to think the clock spring MAY really be the reason for two of your problems.

Like others have said, your self included I think, it is doable with the right tools and precautions. Disconnect the battery and touch the two battery leads together and use caution when working around yellow (airbag) connectors.

Let us know how you fix your mini.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts