The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

81 - 83 of 83 Posts

Registered
Before I had my 2003, I had a 1992 Dodge Caravan that I bought from a coworker, and it burned oil from the time he bought it. I got another dealer to fix the engine under warranty, and the really scary part was that after the rebuild, it never burned another drop of oil! I've been driving since 1964, and I've never, never had a car that didn't use some oil, except the '92.

Super Moderator
I thought our engines burn the oil for us, automatically, so that we can add more? Thoughtful! 馃槃

I'm not one of those folks who tries to keep the oil level right at MAX on the dipstick... I'll just add some when the level is on the lower third of the SAFE range.
You know, an early 4th Generation, from a GC Sport with touring package up, is a beautiful vehicle to own. They are solid, nicely appointed with things that were decontented later on (late 2002/2003).

I envy you having a 2002 ES. :)

Registered
Reciprocating [Aircraft] engines will get their own personality and also have an 'ideal' oil level. Learn what oil level the engines like to run at.

I get pilots (mostly, new) who will not take off without full fuel tanks and the oil serviced to full. Then they complain that the engine is burning the oil like it was candy by a kid the day after Halloween. I ask them to start logging where the oil level is each preflight and how long/far they traveled the flight before. Many times they start to see a trend that the last 1/2 quart that they put in before each flight .... seems to disappear if they fly only a half hour or cross country flight of three hours.

Perhaps that engine likes 7 1/2 quarts rather than 8.
I usually can't seem to tell them this, but the writing it down lesson seems to work pretty good.

81 - 83 of 83 Posts