The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Forgot to add that I did change out the PVC valve around 100K during its oil high consuming period. It did not help, no noticeable improvements in anything. At least that #@$! thing got changed - mark that off the list. What a pain in the arse. I can see these plastic valve covers breaking as they age.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I had EGR valve issues a year ago too- were getting prematurely clogged two times. My drive to work in the winter (cold up here) barely gets the T stat fully open, dont know if that affects ERG performance.
I would expect "up there" where ever that is, that if the ambient temperature is really that cold... that it would be common practice to baffle the radiator. Even simply putting some cardboard in front of the radiator for the winter. Even half or two thirds...
Paint it black and slip it behind the grill... or bright orange and let everyone see what you did.

The engine really needs to get up to operating temperature.

Good on your oil consumption. Thanks for the update!
cheers!

Reactions: LEVY

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,699 Posts
that it would be common practice to baffle the radiator. Even simply putting some cardboard in front of the radiator for the winter. Even half or two thirds...
Paint it black and slip it behind the grill... or bright orange and let everyone see what you did.

The engine really needs to get up to operating temperature.

Good on your oil consumption. Thanks for the update!
cheers!
Black releases hot temperature more efficiently, so don't paint it black, just leave it like it is.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I’ve sandwiched a little cardboard Between the radiator and The grill on some other vehicles , it did help. Can’t drop it in from the top on this one with all the plastic on top. I’ve seen people do zip ties something in front of the grill which looks bad but on a warmer winter day you can remove it easily. We get a whole week once a year that doesn’t get above zero Fahrenheit night or day. Even normal winter days in the Teens to20sTakes a long time to warm this thing up once you’re on the freeway. It warms up best on 30 mph roads. Stoplights and freeways are too cool. I’m sure someone out there still makes those vinyl covers with snap kits that you just mount in the front plastic.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Chrysler claims something like up to 1 quart per 800 miles is "normal," LOL!

Common leak points include:

Oil pan gasket
Oil Pressure sender
Oil Filter Mount (Less than optimal seal with oil filter gasket, possibly due to dimensional error on some model years).
Head cover gaskets (including bolt seals).
PCV
Intake valley gasket
valve seals
piston oil ring

Hmmm, what else am I missing? Main seals maybe...

As for high mileage oil, once you start using it you should probably stick with it as it swells the valve seals for better sealing which might increase wear on some valve seals so that going back to regular oil may result in increased leakage on those seals.

·
Super Moderator
25,122 Posts
Chrysler Adjusts Motor Oil Consumption Guidelines

Chrysler has adjusted its acceptable motor oil consumption guidelines for 2012-2013 Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep gasoline vehicles (Chrysler Bulletin #09-001-12 Engine Oil Consumption Guideline):

• First 50,000 miles of engine life: one quart per 2,000 miles
  • Engines with over 50,000 miles: one quart per 750 miles
  • Aggressive driving conditions: one quart per 500 miles

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,699 Posts
Chrysler Adjusts Motor Oil Consumption Guidelines
Of course, to keep lawsuits at bay!

And people falls for it:

Yes, my engine is within specs!

Yeah right!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
That is incredibly crazy Oil consumption in my opinion that’s actually enough to hurt their emissions numbers. No other make of engine is like that. My Chevy Astro van 4.3 I changed the oil at 4000 miles , even at 200,000 miles it didn’t use a drop. That motor had other issues but using oil wasn’t one of them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
It’s hard to read oil on my dipstick - best thing is first thing in the morning after it’s been sitting for a while. checking oil when pulling in for gas there’s lotta oil that sits in the bottom curve of the dipstick tube so it’s hard to get an accurate reading.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Ask Atwell, in New Jersey they have full service gas stations.

"Fill the oil and check the gas..."

Reactions: Carbuff2

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have had 3 3.8's and they all used oil after 4000 miles on the oil. All were purchased with around 100000 miles on them. My work van 3.8. same conditions and oil usage. My 3.6 with 100000 doesn't use any noticeable oil even at 6000 miles on the oil change.

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
1,948 Posts
Ask Atwell, in New Jersey they have full service gas stations.

"Fill the oil and check the gas..."
I tell folks "My van is a hybrid: It runs on gas, and burns oil" 😄

+++++++++

But seriously folks,

Our 3.8L has used about 3/4 quart of 5W-30 every oil change interval (6000 miles, usually). Something must be wrong!

(I'm here all week...)

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Our 3.8L has used about 3/4 quart of 5W-30 every oil change interval (6000 miles, usually). Something must be wrong!

(I'm here all week...)
Same for me, I keep a couple of quarts in the van, but rarely add much...

... perhaps i should pay better attention!

·
Registered
410 Posts
3/4 of a quart in 6000 miles should be considered normal.
Dan

Reactions: Carbuff2

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,948 Posts
Yeah, I'm old-school so I check oil levels monthly on all our vehicles.

I don't have ANY issues adding a quart in the middle of an OCI...in fact, an Exxon oil engineer once told our car club that a mid-OCI oil addition is beneficial, as that refreshes the additives that tend to deteriorate before the base stocks.

·
Super Moderator
25,122 Posts
Yeah, I'm old-school so I check oil levels monthly on all our vehicles.

I don't have ANY issues adding a quart in the middle of an OCI...in fact, an Exxon oil engineer once told our car club that a mid-OCI oil addition is beneficial, as that refreshes the additives that tend to deteriorate before the base stocks.
Yeah, the base oil lasts forever, just goes along for the ride. Gets dirty though.

Are you advocating that we take out a quart every so often and refresh? Could get some real long oil change intervals that way. :)

·
Super Moderator
25,122 Posts
Somebody buys this product. It's for transmissions, not differentials. I have heard of it being used in the Vans' power steering +4 fluid to cut down on noise.

Highly Friction Modified ATF (HFM-ATF) Supplement with LXE® Technology

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,948 Posts
Are you advocating that we take out a quart every so often and refresh?
I thought our engines burn the oil for us, automatically, so that we can add more? Thoughtful! 😄

I'm not one of those folks who tries to keep the oil level right at MAX on the dipstick... I'll just add some when the level is on the lower third of the SAFE range.

Reactions: Jeepman
61 - 80 of 83 Posts