·
Super Moderator
24,076 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What sticks? The pedal? The calipers?
it appears that the calipers are sticking....pretty badly, too....then I let it cool down for a few hours, and they seem to work fine.....mind you.....this only occurs when I run the A/C...put in a new master cylinder about a year ago...

·
Super Moderator
24,076 Posts
Front caliper? back caliper? one side? both sides, all four? How hot are the rotor(s) getting? Any burning smell? Any brake work recently? Is it actually slowing the vehicle down?

·
5000 Club
5,719 Posts
Been on this forum long before the stated 2007. Several other Chrysler/dodge forums for additional years. Been working on cars for 40 + years and have never heard of your A/C brake problem. Disc brakes stick due to failed master cylindres, binding sliders, binding pistons, collapsed flex brake lines and contaminated fluid. If you have more than one wheel dragging I would look at the master cylinder again.

·
fix it if you can
5,037 Posts
The only way the two can be related is if the van has traction control and A/C load is somehow causing CAB to malfunction and activate front brakes... (power / ground / ripple caused malfunction)

Try pulling ABS fuse and see if the problem goes away...

·
Super Moderator
24,076 Posts
The only way the two can be related is if the van has traction control and A/C load is somehow causing CAB to malfunction and activate front brakes... (power / ground / ripple caused malfunction)

ABS/TC crossed my mind as well but would expect an ABS/TC light to illuminate. Disconnecting ABS is worth a try to glean more information.
I have had the ABS light come on intermittently during rainy weather but then go away. Was not aware of any brakes heating up though. Eventually a RF sensor failed, a couple months later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Front caliper? back caliper? one side? both sides, all four? How hot are the rotor(s) getting? Any burning smell? Any brake work recently? Is it actually slowing the vehicle down?
...front left (driver's side) caliper.....rear brakes are drum...no issue with them.....MUCH burning......smoke.....is slowing vehicle to the point of needing to pull over because it wouldn't go any further...but I got it home....let it cool for a few hours, and it works fine again.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

...you might be on to something here....where is the ABS fuse?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd like to also mention that it was very hot and humid.....91 degrees and 75 dew point.....this has happened before......hot, muggy days....running A/C full blast.....front calipers sticking badly....sometime both sides, sometimes just one side (as in THIS case)....what's odd is....in THIS incident, only the front left caliper was sticking.....but there was no pull to the left.....there was no pull at all....WEIRD.......

·
Registered
825 Posts
are you sure that it's not that they're sticking when the AC is on, but rather that they're sticking on hot days?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
are you sure that it's not that they're sticking when the AC is on, but rather that they're sticking on hot days?
...good point, Baron....I'm not sure.....when it's hot here in Wisconsin, it's muggy and sticky....I have pretty severe asthma, so A/C is a MUST....however.....for the purpose of experimentation.....I'll run it without A/C during a heat wave.....health be damned!!!.....😀😀

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
When you replaced the master cylinder, did you flush out all the old brake fluid in the lines and hoses?

How hot are we talking, what are the outside temperatures?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
In Baron's picture below, there are two fuses associated with the ABS. A 25amp in the upper right and down two, see the 40Amp ABS/MOD pump

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Go out at night when it is cooler and drive with AC on. You don't have to wait till brakes smoke, just pull over after say 5 miles and check the wheels. Do the same with AC off.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Go out at night when it is cooler and drive with AC on. You don't have to wait till brakes smoke, just pull over after say 5 miles and check the wheels. Do the same with AC off.
Start by touching the rim out by the tire and work your way in. I grabbed a hot trailer wheel once, only once....

·
Super Moderator
24,076 Posts
The weather and your brake problem are connected. Your ac isn't connected to the problem except for the same weather.

The brake should be serviced to see what's sticking.

Intermittent brake sticking problems is usually due to a piston sticking. Can happen even after you run your hot brakes through a car wash.

Reactions: FabricGATOR
1 - 20 of 22 Posts